lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester
I should be receiving the Boxwave anti-glare any day now. I'll try it and see if it detracts from the screen clarity. If it does I'll order the one you got.
I can tell you know it definetly will some. Anything anti-glare will decrease the clarity of the screen to a certain extent. I have used the Boxwave anti-glare product on my Treo and it does make the screen cloudy. That's why Boxwave offers the "Crystal" product.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:29 PM   #202
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

I received the Boxwave today and guess what, I ordered the wrong one. I must have clicked on the Crystal one instead of antiglare. So I'll try this one and may stick with it after all. (Beshert) It's thick and really crystall clear.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #203
bruceweinstein
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Invisible Shield questions

Received the invisble shield screen protector. Applied to BB 8700. Very impressive. Found it gets better with age. I am wondering what would be the outcome if and when I should ever remove it. It looks like it is stuck on pretty good. I am almost reluctant to remove it for fear it would damage the screen. Is this true? Has anyone removed one of these screen protectors ever?

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

...Bruce
Old 01-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #204
kildar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

I've removed two. It will leave little to no residue and pulls off quite easy.

Tim
Old 01-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #205
bruceweinstein
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Default Little to no residue?

Tim you mention little residue. How did you remove the residue and were there permanent marks left on the 8700's screen after?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #206
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well I've had the Boxwave Crystal screen protector on for aweek now. I was told buy Boxwave that the edges will eventually stick down. They have come down a bit but after a week I don't think it will all the way. Too bad because the center is perfectly clear.

I guess I'll order Screenpatronus. It will also be cut alot better than my freehand job. lol....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boxwave3.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1249  
Old 01-21-2006, 06:47 AM   #207
lgreenberg

I have always had that problem with Boxwave screen protectors, going back to my Palm Pilot. I stopped using them because of it.

You will not have that problem with the Screenpatronus product.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:19 PM   #208
sabesh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
I have always had that problem with Boxwave screen protectors, going back to my Palm Pilot. I stopped using them because of it.

You will not have that problem with the Screenpatronus product.
Hey, good to see you here: I seem to be following you around

Yep, I've had similar issues with Boxwave Antiglare protectors sometimes. Screenpatronus / Navscreen ones have been good so far. I'm so impressed with Navscreen that I intend to do a mini review of the clear types in a week or so. I did a mini review on the regular ones here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...8&page=3&pp=10

(Posts 22 & 28 ). Cheers, Sabesh.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #209
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just ordered the Screenpatronus ones. After reviewing this thread again I realized that I was not given any choices for clear or anti-glare. I just emailed them to confirm that I will be getting the clear version.

BTW I did enter the discount code mentioned by Stinsonddog, thanks.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #210
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

I ordered the Screenguardz and received them in two days.

Overall the customer experience was awesome, however, they are static type screen covers which I do not like. This isn't a slam against screen guardz, I just do not prefer static type screen covers.

I prefer something which sticks to the screen with an adhesive. originally I was using Palm general screen guards and cutting it to fit.

I wanted to try screen guardz and did not like it.

I went back to the Palm screen covers and I am very happy with them. The palm ones came off with no residue and are durable (IMO)

regardz.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #211
lgreenberg

I don't mind the adhesive type excpet for the fact that they are never as clear as the static cling type and are next to impossible to install bubble free.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #212
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just received the Screenpatronus protectors today. Just in time to put on my replacement 8700 unit that I also got today.(Dust)
I can't believe the difference from the Boxwave ones. I guess the Boxwave ones are just too thick and don't form to the screen. The Screenpatronus went on so easily and looks invisable even at the edges.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #213
nsbalt

Model: 8700C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceweinstein
Received the invisble shield screen protector. Applied to BB 8700. Very impressive. Found it gets better with age. I am wondering what would be the outcome if and when I should ever remove it. It looks like it is stuck on pretty good. I am almost reluctant to remove it for fear it would damage the screen. Is this true? Has anyone removed one of these screen protectors ever?

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

...Bruce

I had to remove one that was on my nano. You need to be careful when removing it - - take your time, but it does not damage the screen at all. Of course, the invisibleshield is then trash.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #214
BBmertz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
I ordered the Screenguardz and received them in two days.

Overall the customer experience was awesome, however, they are static type screen covers which I do not like. This isn't a slam against screen guardz, I just do not prefer static type screen covers.

I prefer something which sticks to the screen with an adhesive. originally I was using Palm general screen guards and cutting it to fit.

I wanted to try screen guardz and did not like it.

I went back to the Palm screen covers and I am very happy with them. The palm ones came off with no residue and are durable (IMO)

regardz.
I tried the Screenguardz too. While they fit the 8700c screen perfectly and are incredibly clear, it is nearly impossible to remove all of the bubbles. Most of them go away after 24 hours, but a few troublesome ones remain and the protector gets scratched if you are not careful when using the enclosed plastic "squeegee."

I used the JavoEdge screen protector on my 7100g, which was also very clear and incredibly easy to apply with no bubbles, since it was thick and not flimsy like the Screenguardz. I'll wait until JavoEdge or BoxWave release their versions for the 8700c, or perhaps order the InvisibleShield which seems to have gotten the best reviews to date (at least for clarity) in this thread.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #215
barjohn

Model: 8700

I have tried the ScreenPatronous, the ScreenGardz and the Invisble Shield. In my opinion, the ScreenPatronous win hands down in every category.

CLARITY:
They are crystal clear with a smooth surface that wipes clean easily. The ScreenGardz are not as clear (slightly cloudy) and surface blemishes show from trying to squeegee out the bubbles, the same is true for the invisible shields, has a slight eggshell finish.

EASE OF APPLICATION:
The ScreenPatronous go on easy, are a perfect fit, easy to remove any inadvertent bubble, easy to remove with no residue, & don't need to be wet first. I found the ScreenGardz virtually impossible to apply and remove the bubbles, even after days, still there and unremovable. The cut is not quite as good as the ScreenPatronous. The Invisible Shield is a real pain to apply or remove. Hard to remove the bubbles, slides around while wet and thus hard to position. Leaves a residue when removed that must be removed separately unless you are extremely patient and skillful at removal.

CUSTOMER SERVICE:
All three companies provided excellent customer service and quick response to complaints.

USE:
The ScreenPatronous is excellent with unbeatable clarity with the screen on or off and indoors or outdoors. The same cannot be said of the others in my opinion.

I know there are strong supporters for each of the other screen protectors and where the Invisible Shield would shine is in a protective skin for the body plastic. However, the one they have does not cover the areas most in need of protection which are the corners and edges. The large flat surfaces such as the battery cover are not the areas most prone to nicks and scratches. If they fix it so it covers the front and back edges I would be more inclined to look at using it.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #216
Zoinks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
The Invisible Shield is a real pain to apply or remove. Hard to remove the bubbles, slides around while wet and thus hard to position. Leaves a residue when removed that must be removed separately unless you are extremely patient and skillful at removal.
Using soapy water is really important when applying the Invisible Shields. The soap breaks the water's surface tension so the squeegee'ing really gets all the water out, prevents bubbles and makes it stay put. It has a secondary benefit of lubricating the top side so squeegee'ing doesn't smudge/scratch the top. If you've ever watched a car window tint installer, they ONLY use soapy water.

I've done about 10 BB's for coworkers and never had a problem with fitment or bubbles. More complex kits are another matter (Ipod, nano)

I've had Invisible Shields (IS's) for just about all my gear for over a year now. Removing them has never left even the faintest residue. Granted, once you pull them off, they are useless/landfill but no goo is left behind.

I revieved a new IS to replace the one I had to sacrifice when my dust-replacement 8700 came in. I opted for the multi-piece kit, so I will post more pictures later today or tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #217
BBmertz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for your comprehensive review, Barjohn. I definitely agree with your comments on the ScreenGuardz and will give ScreenPatronus a try. I'll also be anxious to hear reviews on the screen protectors from BoxWave and JavoEdge, once they are released for the 8700c.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:16 PM   #218
DocGo

Model: 9800
PIN: ask me via PM

One more vote for the invisibleshield. I had no problem with installing it. I used plain water instead of soapy water. I held the shield between my fingers and just rinse it in warm tap water, gave it a little shake to remove excess moisture then installed it on the screen using a credit card as squeegee. It has stayed on my screen without any problems...I have been using it for the past 2 weeks and the screen is as clear as ever.
I have the same product on my Ipod 20gb and Nano.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:45 PM   #219
barjohn

Model: 8700

I refer you all to this article on removal of the InvisbleShield: http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2...eldRemoval.htm They had problems with residue and detail how to remove it. It isn't my imagination

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-28-2006, 05:52 PM   #220
n1976jmk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

personally, i didnt have a problem taking mine off when i recieved the new improved coverage one and had to take the old one off and mail back a couple weeks back, which by the way is awesome!!
Closed Thread