ImportSport
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 317A6B02
Carrier: Verizon
Default Review: BB 8130 Seidio Rubberized Holster

Please Login to Remove!

Review: BB 8130 Seidio Rubberized Holster

I spent the better part of a day trying to find a holster for my VZW 8130. Everywhere I looked had leather pouch holsters or cheap looking clip holsters. This particular one stood out, rubberized and felt lined were both good things. The few images online looked quality as well.

Here are two links to this holster:

Manufacturer ($29.99)
RUBBERIZED SPRING CLIP SWIVEL HOLSTER FOR UN-SKINNED 8100/8130 - HLBB8100AS

Retailer ($25.95)
BlackberrySource.com - Rubberized BlackBerry Pearl Holster

I ordered this from BlackBerrySource.com shipping was expensive, FedEx was the only option, but I had it in two business days . I would purchase from this seller again.

I just received this today so I cannot speak to the durability etc. My initial impressions are very positive.

-The belt clip is strong with stiff spring and the rotation of the belt clip has good feedback.

-The rubberized coating feels very high quality and showed no blemishes on arrival.

-The felt lining seems to serve it's purpose well enough. Soft, clean, and again without blemish.

-The snap action of the top clip seems solid I do not have any concerns about this popping out unexpectedly. The backing plate extends halfway up the phone, this makes it seem even more secure and should help keep your clothes from popping the phone out of the holster.

*Overall I would recommend this product based on my initial impressions.*

Enjoy the pictures and please let me know if you have any questions.

Per request here are some pictures of the phone being held and worn.

This holster successfully activates the phone's standby or "holster" mode. As you can see the magnet is quite strong.

Last edited by ImportSport; 11-15-2007 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Update.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Great pictures, nice review. After you've used it week, please post back with an update?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
ImportSport
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Great pictures, nice review. After you've used it week, please post back with an update?
Absolutely. I will update this thread now, from the one in the 8130 forums, with the additional information I've added.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
ImportSport
Thumbs Must Hurt

Additional comments on this product, courtesy of member: 7100g.

Quote:
I second the recommendation for the Seido holster:
RUBBERIZED SPRING CLIP SWIVEL HOLSTER FOR UN-SKINNED 8100/8130 - HLBB8100AS

The rubberized plastic means it's not cheap-looking like shiny plastic, and won't crack. The screen faces in, which keeps the glass and keys cleaner. The face of the Pearl rests against a felt lining. The spring clip at the top is fairly substantial, and the 8130 fits perfectly. It takes a few tries to get the hang of removing the Pearl with one hand, but after that it's second nature.

It includes the sleeper magnet (this means that the Pearl will automatically go into standby, or keyboard lock, or device lock when you holster it, depending on your preferences) and the belt clip swivels and locks for vertical or horizontal wear.

I paid $36.45 total, with shipping. This seems like a lot, but think about the role this accessory plays in your life. How many other things (besides the BlackBerry itself) do you carry with you during all your waking hours, and use 25 or 50 times a day? Just swallow the price and then forget about it. You should be happy with your holster.

(Note that the link above is for the version of the holster that takes a "naked" Pearl -- no silicone skin. Seido also sells skins, and holsters that fit skinned devices. Their website says the skinned holster for the 8130 is coming soon.)
Old 11-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I used this holster with my Pearl for a long time and am now using one with my 8320. I've been very happy with it.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I thought I recalled reading somewhere that the rubberized beltclip for the 8300 was too tight and damaged the top of the BB where the clip hooked in. Am I wrong? I love these clips (use one with my 8800) and will definitely get one if it doesn't crack the 8300's case.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
ImportSport
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I thought I recalled reading somewhere that the rubberized beltclip for the 8300 was too tight and damaged the top of the BB where the clip hooked in. Am I wrong? I love these clips (use one with my 8800) and will definitely get one if it doesn't crack the 8300's case.
Having used this clip for a week I can easily say that my initial impressions continue to hold true. This is a quality piece of hardware.

I have not seen any indication that the phone is being held too tight. It enters and exits the clip with no problem. Once in place it feels secure with no movement. The top clip does not appear to be stretched or anything that would indicate the case is too large for the clip mechanism.

In a weeks worth of use the rubberized plastic and felt lining have not shown any signs of wear and the rotating clip continues to be strong.

The only negative that I have found to this clip is that the inside of the clip has a metal grommet that scratched the outside of my belt when I tried to slide the clip along my belt. If I make sure to open the clip a little when sliding this does not happen, and it does not happen with normal wear. It's a little thing but really the only negative I have seen thus far.

I'll provided another update in a few weeks
Old 11-22-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Thanks for the encouraging words. I may be completely imagining this mysterious problem of this clip ruining Blackberry casings, and it would be surprising given Seidio's track record of quality products. And considering my clip for the 8800 has been spectacular (until my friggin' Shih-Tzu got her mitts on it ) I shouldn't be surprised that the one for the 8300 is equally great.

Last edited by rambo47; 11-22-2007 at 10:25 PM..
Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
rest_easy

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

BlackBerry 8300 Super Premium Holster - Black - Free Shipping.

is that the same as the above? Does anyone know if this would be compatible with the 8310?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
ImportSport
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rest_easy View Post
BlackBerry 8300 Super Premium Holster - Black - Free Shipping.

is that the same as the above? Does anyone know if this would be compatible with the 8310?
This does not appear to be the same holster. Try visiting Seidio's website to see if they make one for your application.

Seidioonline.com
Old 11-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I just ordered This One for both my 8300 and 8800. Freaking dog ate the last one. Can't stay mad at her, though.

http://homepage.mac.com/rseijas/.Pictures/ginger2.jpg

Last edited by rambo47; 11-28-2007 at 12:23 PM..
Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
mark0341
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's
Angry Assassin

Quote:
I just ordered This One for both my 8300 and 8800. Freaking dog ate the last one. Can't stay mad at her, though.

http://homepage.mac.com/rseijas/.Pictures/ginger2.jpg

PM me and that DOG will never give you another problem!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:11 AM   #13
penpower
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: New AT&T

Quote:
I remember I read the same information regarding the damage (to 8300) on some popular BB review sites. I had the older 8700 beltclip from them when I used my 8700. They claimed it won't scratch the housing or the top part where the clip sits on, however it turned out those places got the most scratches. Very disappointed, so I didn't buy any clip or case from them for my 8820 and 8300. They need to do more QA testing.

Last edited by penpower; 11-30-2007 at 03:12 AM..
Old 11-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
seidioseidio

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Quote:
Rambo,

There were a few people stating that our holster was removing the rubberized coating from the top of the Curve, with an equal number of people saying they weren't even using a holster and it rubbed off. There were and still are people having problems with the coating on the top being too thin and rubbing off easily.

If you're using our holster, you probably already know that the spring clip is designed to be lifted when holstering your device. We designed it this way specifically to prevent scratches. If you decide however, to "push" the device into the holster, the simple friction will make it possible to put scuffs on your phone.

If used correctly, ours is one of the most protective holsters available.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 03:36 AM   #15
Corman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

I keep track of over 200 blackberrys and a wide variety of cases. This is done in a rugged environment and there is no better overall holster than the one sold by seidio. Sometimes there is a little wear in spots, but the device is very well protected. Even in situations not faced by the average joe.

7250, 7130e, 8703e, 8830 and now the 8330
Old 12-01-2007, 03:44 AM   #16
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
Rambo,

There were a few people stating that our holster was removing the rubberized coating from the top of the Curve, with an equal number of people saying they weren't even using a holster and it rubbed off. There were and still are people having problems with the coating on the top being too thin and rubbing off easily.

If you're using our holster, you probably already know that the spring clip is designed to be lifted when holstering your device. We designed it this way specifically to prevent scratches. If you decide however, to "push" the device into the holster, the simple friction will make it possible to put scuffs on your phone.

If used correctly, ours is one of the most protective holsters available.

Thanks

Will you be coming out with the hard case and clip for the 8130.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #17
ImportSport
Thumbs Must Hurt

At the end of week two I can still vouch for the quality of this product. I have even been lazy about inserting my 8130 into the holster. I just snap it in, no lifting up the clip as suggested above. I will fully admit I realize this may lead to wear on the case but thus far I have seen no indication of wear.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:16 AM   #18
madscientist

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers
Cool

I bought this holster in early August'07 and overall, it's an awesome unit for my Pearl. I wear it so that the holster is upside-down and so is the phone (clip goes on the belt from underneath). it makes it easier to take the phone out as I just use my index finger to push down on the clip.
about a month after I got it and used it every day on my belt, the swivel started to lose "grip" and progressively wore down. I took it back to the store in T.O. where I bought it but I didn't have my stinkin' receipt so they couldn't do anything for me I still use it but the swivel is very loose now and I'm just waiting for the day when it pops off with my phone...
(there's also a tiny bit of wear from the clip on the top/back of the phone. better there than on the screen, I think!)
overall, this holster is great but I'm not too confident on the design of the swivel. has there been a redesign of that or if I get another one will it lead to the same failure?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:43 AM   #19
seidioseidio

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I bought this holster in early August'07 and overall, it's an awesome unit for my Pearl. I wear it so that the holster is upside-down and so is the phone (clip goes on the belt from underneath). it makes it easier to take the phone out as I just use my index finger to push down on the clip.
about a month after I got it and used it every day on my belt, the swivel started to lose "grip" and progressively wore down. I took it back to the store in T.O. where I bought it but I didn't have my stinkin' receipt so they couldn't do anything for me I still use it but the swivel is very loose now and I'm just waiting for the day when it pops off with my phone...
(there's also a tiny bit of wear from the clip on the top/back of the phone. better there than on the screen, I think!)
overall, this holster is great but I'm not too confident on the design of the swivel. has there been a redesign of that or if I get another one will it lead to the same failure?
The clip was completely redesigned. Please email your information to [email address] and I'll make sure you're taken care of.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #20
twinkle7

Carrier: verizon

Thank you for your review. I have been doing a lot of research on this holster and it looks to be the best one. My question is will it accomodate the 8130 pearl "facing out"? and will it put the phone into sleep mode facing out? thank you!