Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Optus
Default Restarting after OS update

Please Login to Remove!

I just installed the latest OS (2.1.?) on my Playbook via WiFi. It said it had finished and that it had to restart. I clicked the restart button.

It took a while to do anything, but after a few minutes it displayed "Blackberry Playbook" in the middle of the screen with a changing coloured background. Then after a few more minutes, the screen went black.

10 minutes later it was still black, so I figured nothing else would happen. I held down the power button, and eventually the red light came on, and after a while I saw "Blackberry Playbook" on the screen again for a while. Then it went black again.

The battery was on 54% charge during the upgrade, and has been plugged into the proper charger all through.

What now?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long
Default Re: Restarting after OS update

I would leave it on the charger overnight and turn it on again in the morning. If it still doesn't boot up, try connecting it to your computer, assuming you have Desktop Manager installed, and turn it on again.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I would leave it on the charger overnight and turn it on again in the morning. If it still doesn't boot up, try connecting it to your computer, assuming you have Desktop Manager installed, and turn it on again.
Thanks for the quick reply. I got impatient and decided to follow the factory reset instructions here. It's done the install (presumably the same OS version again) and is now "Connecting to device".

I saw "Blackberry Playbook" come up on the screen for a little while, and now it's black again. Hopefully Desktop Manager will tell me when to give up waiting.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
pshute

Now Desktop Manager is saying "The desktop loader is unable to connect to The device. You may need to enter the password on the device."

I doubt it's flat, but I'll leave it on charge over the weekend. Will it charge if it's not turned on?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
pshute

Could someone please confirm if I'm now seeing the symptoms of a flat battery? I.e. power on, see "Blackberry Playbook" on the screen for a while, then it goes black.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

If you went through the restore option like this:
shutdown playbook,
connect to Desktop manager
wait for Desktop manager asking you if you want to restore,
klick yes,
Desktop manager loads OS from internet and installs on Playbook,
install done, playbook restarts (with the playbook screen in different colors)
Finally, the deskop manager should confirm that the install is done.

if the last step does not complete, I think there is not much you can do:
Leave the PB on the charger for 5 hours. Try again if you can start, otherwise repeat the above procedure.

Or, google for "BBHTool - BlackBerry OS Downloads", download an older PB Firmware.
Google for Dingleberry, download. Put the Firmware you downloaded previously in the Firmware/Custom folder, launch Dingleberry, and use it to download the OS to the playbook.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I suspect turning off the device when it was rebooting created the problem....You should have just plugged it in and left it alone until it rebooted. If you do manage to force an OS reload with Desktop Manager or somehow load an older OS from somewhere, don't make the same mistake. Personally, I think you should be able to force an OS reload with Desktop Manager. Just follow the directions. For what it's worth.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I suspect turning off the device when it was rebooting created the problem....You should have just plugged it in and left it alone until it rebooted.
Maybe, but I doubt it was going to ever finish rebooting. How long could it possibly take? After it had gone black after displaying "Blackberry Playbook" and the changing colours, I saw no sign of life for more than 10 minutes before I started fiddling with it. Does it take longer than that?
Quote:
If you do manage to force an OS reload with Desktop Manager or somehow load an older OS from somewhere, don't make the same mistake. Personally, I think you should be able to force an OS reload with Desktop Manager. Just follow the directions. For what it's worth.
I've managed to get it to for the OS reload several times, but it never finishes the reboot afterwards.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I know it takes longer to reboot when it restarts after an OS update. My wife's took a long, long time. I don't know for sure how long because I don't know when she restarted, and she only complained after waiting longer than she thought necessary. In your case, the scren going black makes me doubt my advice, but I still would have left it on a charger and hour or two to see if it would finish booting before assuming it crashed.

I didn't understand your last part. Are you saying you have forced an OS reinstall but it still doesn't finish the restart?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I didn't understand your last part. Are you saying you have forced an OS reinstall but it still doesn't finish the restart?
Yes, several times. I'm waiting at least until Desktop Manager has given up waiting for the reboot.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with the charger, and that all I'm achieving is to make it flatter and flatter each time I try.

The original problem was that I was having trouble making the amount of charge increase, despite the icon showing the lightning bolt. I could leave it on charge for days with no change (but at least didn't go down), or sometimes it would charge right up.

The same charger will successfully charge a phone, so it's not dead. It's the one supplied with the Playbook, with a yellow USB plug.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

The #1 key to updating ANY BlackBerry device is patience.

Sorry you are having trouble ... is you PB still under warranty? You may want to consider that route and get it replaced ... sounds like a hardware issue to me.

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarXJ7 View Post
The #1 key to updating ANY BlackBerry device is patience.

Sorry you are having trouble ... is you PB still under warranty? You may want to consider that route and get it replaced ... sounds like a hardware issue to me.
Don't think so - it was purchased last August. I'm making inquiries about it now.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

It doesn't sound good to me. Sounds like it could be a hardware problem. But I don't know what more you can do on your end.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
Or, google for "BBHTool - BlackBerry OS Downloads", download an older PB Firmware.
Google for Dingleberry, download. Put the Firmware you downloaded previously in the Firmware/Custom folder, launch Dingleberry, and use it to download the OS to the playbook.
Is this likely to help? That tool is for downgrading for jail breaking, and I'm uncomfortable with the whole process. I'm not convinced that it's the OS upgrade that killed it, given the previous charging problems I had that I hoped the upgrade would solve.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

I dont know if that helps, but if the problem you encounter is related to your device, firmware or loader, then, it might be worth a try to check if a different loader software or os will be able to make the PB working again.
You can use dingleberry to root the playbook, but, you also can use it to load the OS to the playbook. Also, if for some unknown reason your playbook wont function with the version 2.1, dingleberry is a way to check if an older version will work (rim will not give you the option to load an older os then 2.1)

Last edited by nobody7290; 10-08-2012 at 04:35 PM..
Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
pshute

I'm hoping I've found the answer. I just noticed that there was a tiny fragment of very fine wire stuck on the magnetic pins of the rapid charging socket. It was shorting out the middle pin (non magnetic) and the right hand pin (strongly magnetic). I don't have the rapid charger, so I've never looked at this socket before.

Does anyone know the electrical details of this socket? Could this be why I was originally only able to get some charge into it occasionally? And perhaps why it's acting like it's flat now?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
pshute

Now I'm trying to follow instructions I've found for getting enough charge into it to let it boot, but they don't match what I'm seeing.

They say things like plug the power in for two minutes, out for two minutes, etc. But If I plug the power in, I see a red light for a few seconds, then a green light, then the screen says "Blackberry Playbook", then it goes black. Leaving the power cable out for any amount of time doesn't result in the cycle repeating.

The only ways I can get the light to come on again are to hold down the power button for ten seconds, then either:
- press the power button again - cycle as above but no green light - or
- unplug and plug in again - cycle as above.

Am I doing something wrong, or does it work differently for OS2.1?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I have never seen any instructions that say plug it in for 2 minutes and pull it out for 2 minutes. Where did you see that?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #19
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I have never seen any instructions that say plug it in for 2 minutes and pull it out for 2 minutes. Where did you see that?
I think it was here. (Click on the word "here" - why is it so hard to specify a URL sensibly here?)

Lots of other variations listed on that page, but in the second posting they say:
"I was told about "stack" charging, 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, charging for never more than 2 minutes."

I'm not stack charging, but no idea if that's relevant.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
pshute

So far today I've done 22 power cycles to try and get some charge into it, and probably did 20 yesterday. When it's got enough charge, will it just boot up?

It's possibly a good sign that if I pull the plug out during the few seconds that the green light is on, I can see a picture of a plug on the screen, with an arrow pointing to a lighting bolt. I assume this mean the system knows when the plug is in, and is happy that it's charging, at least while the green light is on.

I'm concerned though about what happens after the green light goes off. If I leave it, after a little while it displays "Blackberry Playbook" for a while. I have to hold the power button in to allow a new cycle to start after I unplug/plug in the power. I'm concerned that because there's no light on at the time that perhaps it's draining the battery a little. It might be that with each cycle, I'm actually draining the battery a bit more overall, rather than gradually adding charge. Or will it be running off the charger, and never draining the battery at all?

Holding the button in to force it off for another cycle only seems to work once the "Blackberry Playbook" message comes up. I can make that come up quicker by pressing the power button once anytime after the green light comes on, so when I notice it, I press it immediately after it goes off again.

I haven't found any descriptions of the power cycling that mention having to hold the power button in each cycle. I'm wondering if all the instructions out there are for versions prior to 2.1. Don't know if I'm just wasting my time. The dealer still hasn't responded to my email.
Closed Thread