Old 08-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
tess-harris

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Default Duplicate data in Outlook Contacts after synching

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I've looked at several of the posts on synchronization problems but can't a solution to my problem.

I've had my current BB for a few months. I synch initially from Outlook 2007 to BB and the fields look mapped properly. I have it set to notify if there is a conflict.

Ever since the first synch, random duplicated data has appeared in the Contacts records:
  • Email addresses are duplicated with ( ) brackets around the second version, thereby rendering the email syntax incorrect and resulting in errors if I choose that email address inadvertently
  • Data in address fields are duplicated several times, so that a record suddenly explodes with duplicate information on town, postcode etc

The problem has grown over time so that right now, nearly every one of my several hundred contact records has duplicate data.

I have looked for solutions everywhere, without success. This never happened with my old BB and I am now faced with having to rebuild my Outlook Contacts manually, one by one.

I don't want to rebuild my contacts only to find it happens again however.

Any ideas anyone?

Tess
Old 08-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Are you sync'ing the device with anything else? A google calendar maybe?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
tess-harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Are you sync'ing the device with anything else? A google calendar maybe?
One of my email accounts is a gmail one and that synchs with Google on the desktop.

Would be that a cause?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

If you are just talking about email and only email, I don't think that's the problem. I would be looking for anything that you are using that can modify the address book. Then do a search and see if anyone else is having a problem with it. Or you can disable it or delete it and see if the duplicates stop.

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-08-2010 at 05:00 PM..
Old 08-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
PJD642
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Verizon

I have a similar issue, except that only the e-mail addresses duplicate. For each contact that I have an e-mail addy listed for, once I sync it is listed twice. Never more than twice, no other fields, just e-mails.

I sync with my home PC only, windows 7 contacts. No google calendar or anything else. Irritating to have to go in and delete all the duplicate e-mail addresses, but it only happens the first time I sync. Most recently it happened when I performs my first sync on this computer, which had a new install of windows 7 so there were NO contacts on it prior to the sync.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Take a look at the following.

Open the address book on the BlackBerry. Open menu and select options. On the contact options screen, what do you see listed under contact lists?

I'm wondering if you have two or more contact lists. If you do, there is a way to remove the ones you don't want, but I don't remember how. There was a post on the blackberry technical blog a few days or a week ago about this. The blog post also mentioned what causes this, and I remember google was mentioned. Maybe someone else can post a link.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
tess-harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Take a look at the following.

Open the address book on the BlackBerry. Open menu and select options. On the contact options screen, what do you see listed under contact lists?

I'm wondering if you have two or more contact lists. If you do, there is a way to remove the ones you don't want, but I don't remember how. There was a post on the blackberry technical blog a few days or a week ago about this. The blog post also mentioned what causes this, and I remember google was mentioned. Maybe someone else can post a link.
I looked at the BB address book, Options.

I have 3 gmail addresses listed under the 'Contact Lists':
- two are my personal gmail accounts
- the third is my corporate email, which is a google 'professional' email account

In Outlook, on my single PC at home/office, I have three email accounts setup via different ISPs, but using the same Outlook Contacts file.

So, that would suggest it's a Google/gmail issue.

How annoying!

Needless to say, the synching works perfectly on an iphone.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I think that is your answer... Or at least points you to the answer. Go to blackberry.com on a regular browser on a computer. Search on duplicate contacts. I think you'll find the article I'm rembering that talks about multiple contact lists and what to do.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
tess-harris

It would have been nice to know about this issue before I setup my BB.

Now I have to clean my entire Outlooks Contacts.

BB should issue an alert to everyone who gets a device....
Old 08-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I don't think it's blackberry. I think it's google.

The following site may be helpful: BlackBerry Support Community Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums. Search on google duplicate contacts.

I think what you will find is you need to use the advanced backup/restore in desktop manager to delete the extra address book databases. I don't use google and have no idea what you need to do to prevent it happening again. But I think you should find an answer at the support community site.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Carrier: Telus

It's most likely a Google problem. Google Sync has a LOT of these issues. If you are having duplicates, a good way to automatically clean them up is using a program called ODIR.

Outlook Duplicate Items Remover

The program will be installed as a plugin in Outlook. Once you tell it to run, it will create a new address book, calendar etc, and place all duplicates in there. It's not perfect, but it certainly does help.

I'd take Google off, run BDM and see if your issue goes away - if it doesn't, then i'm thinking corrupt PST file etc.
Closed Thread