Old 06-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
ThePhantom

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Inter-AP handover problems...

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

After 1+ years of being aggravated by this, I finally decided to post here, in a (hopefully not futile) effort to ultimately get the attention of someone at RIM...

I have a network with three APs, all on discrete channels, broadcasting the same SSID, all with the same WPA credentials. They are on a single subnet with a single DHCP server. In short, it's all "by the book" in regards to a multiple AP network.

For whatever reason, my BB8320 has never handled Inter-AP handover correctly during a call. When idle, it hands over just fine. I've extensively tested the configuration with a Nokia 6301 and 7510 -- both of which handle the in-call handover just fine.

What happens is that about half the time on the 8320, the handover works just fine. The other half, I'll lose inbound audio -- the other party can still hear the conversation. If I rove back into range of the original AP, the inbound audio will pick back up. If I disconnect the call when the audio has dropped, the WiFi connection will still transmit for about a minute or so (as if the network never saw the disconnect).

I've tried this on T-Mo's .81 release, as well as the other interim releases from other carriers since then. Each build has incrementally improved the behavior, but none has fixed it permanently.

On a lark, I grabbed a BB Pearl Flip with 4.6 on it. The OS breaks the in-call inter-AP handover completely 100% of the time, so I'm not hopeful that RIM is solving this issue any time soon.

Any advice as to who to reach out to with this? I haven't bothered with T-Mo, as I'm hesitant to deal with the scripted answers (reset your device, let's replace the handset, etc., etc.)...

TIA!

Last edited by ThePhantom; 06-21-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Old 06-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

These forums are in no way associated with RIM, and as far as I am aware, no one from RIM visits these forums.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread