BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon
Default When I was a newbie . . .

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass
Hehe. Exactly. Thanks so much for illustrating my point. As is the case with most new members around here, my first actual reply is a slightly more verbose version of "piss-off". With a reference to my post count, even - How perfect! That's more less exactly what I expected from this place. Just simply a "Hello, yes I have that line item on my account" or "Nope, mine is listed as such-and-such" was apparently WAAAY to much to ask. What was I thinking?

Had you read my post, it was pretty obvious what I was asking. Not a single response, reply, or even a welcome to the board. For 3 days. The 2 hours between my last 2 posts is how long it took me to get my own results, after realizing that no-one here had the slightest desire to simply check their VZW.com account page and help out a new member who WASN'T asking stupid nOOb questions. It would have taken all of 30 seconds. Less time than your snotty little reply took you to write. And had someone been willing to help me, I would have been more than willing to help in return, once I got this figured out. Which I did - 9 yrs of IT admin experience tends to come in handy. I lurked here for 2 weeks when I first got my BB, and actually wasn't even going to register until I had a question that I really needed an answer to. I've seen the response that nOObs get around here. Your reply is exactly what I expected. Everyone is a dumbass until they've spent months posting on *this* board. That's good stuff.

Don't worry. I won't be bothering to post here anymore. And please, those of you that are PMing me and asking for help - Sorry. I meant what I said. You're on your own. Depending on your market, what I was able to do probably wouldn't be much help anyways. Just ask one of resident experts here instead - they sure seem to know it all already. Just be careful you don't get your head bit off in the process.
I can appreciate your position but let me tell you that you are wrong. When I was a newbie I got a tremendous amount of help from this forum (still do every single day) however, what I did to begin with was read every single post before I started asking questions, and then after I had reason to ask for help I was polite and patient for answers, and I got them. Attitude just turns people off to begin with and begets more attitude in return, in the second place you have to realize that many times 2 hrs is not enough time to gt an answer specially when you post either on weekends (no one around to answer immediately) or during work days when someone does not have the time to respond as quickly as you would like (remember time zones). There is no question that is a life or death issue here, waiting will not be detrimental in any way shape or form. Specially a question pertaining to something as inane as EVDO. And the bottom line to all of this is that a little effort on your part still got you the answer you sought which is after all the reason you came here, or was it perhaps you felt that everyone here owed it to you and was obliged to do your work for you?

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 12-02-2005 at 09:22 PM..
Old 12-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #282
webzila

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default What kind of modem does BB7250 have?

Quick question...is the modem in BB 7250 actually EVDO capable or is it 1XRTT only? From what I understood is that BroadBand Access for the 7250 is designed so that you could tether your phone with the laptop only. I was trying to find some advanced device specs to determine what kind of modem it has otherwise it could be like using a 28.8K modem with a 56K V.92 capable ISP - just because youre signed up for 56K service doesnt mean that you connect at that speed.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:59 PM   #283
MonkeyGrass
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9600

kontiki, I appreciate your rational reply. What seriously bothered me was not the 2 hrs between my 3rd and 4th posts... it was the 3 days that went by while I patiently waited for someone, anyone, to do a quick check of their consumer acct detail and post back with their line item details. I knew I was close to getting this to work, and in the interest of trying to enable more folks to get EVDO despite Verizon's reluctance to admit it exists, I needed a confirmation of what I was seeing. I do my homework. Always have. You generally aren't too successful as a consultant/IT admin if you don't. That's one of the reasons I lurked, read, researched and generally picked up every piece of knowledge here for two weeks before I posted. But you are 100% right, something little like EVDO access (which really doesn't do squat for the browsing on the 7250) is not that big of a deal. But combined with a rash of STFU style posts directed towards new members in that last 2 weeks I've been browsing is a real turn off. I've had associates who warned me about this board before I ever joined. Their words? "Use it like a library and don't post unless you absolutely have to, it can get rather nasty around there at times" So I guess I came in with my guard up. Not the best way to make an impression, I'm sure.

Sorry for any misunderstandings... Best of luck to you all.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #284
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass
kontiki, I appreciate your rational reply. . . . it can get rather nasty around there at times" So I guess I came in with my guard up. Not the best way to make an impression, I'm sure.

Sorry for any misunderstandings... Best of luck to you all.
Well I for one am pleased to see the adjustment and want to belatedly say to you Welcome to the forums. If I can be of help I will try to help you. Best of luck to you as well.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #285
Shadowlaw

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomryan
Do you have the tethering option enabled on your account?

I'm curious if Verizon is only allowing EVDO speeds in tethering mode if you have subscribed..
In my case, tethering was enabled. In fact, my earlier "data connection refused" problems were because they had enabled tethering without putting in the EVDO code. The handheld is showing 1XEV, just not getting the higher speed while tethered (but happy to have any tethering at all!)

BTW-if Monkeygrass hasn't left the community yet--I didn't respond to the request about account info because I am on a corporate account and can't access the info--others on this board may have been in the same position.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #286
BroadcastDoc

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Interestingly enough, I logged into my account yesterday and saw that BroadbandAccess Connect and EVDO was already enabled on my account. I simply installed the upgrade, did a *22899 and everything is great! I didn't have to call CS at all. I've got 1XEV on my display, can send receive messages, surf, and get calls. No issues whatsoever.

Guess I'm lucky or something!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:30 PM   #287
abstractrude
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7550

For The Love Of God Just Add Evdsb!

This Tech Guy Wont Add

Gonan Go To My 3rd Vzw ****
Old 12-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #288
whsbuss

Model: 9800

I've been following this thread for quite a while. I picked up my 7130e on 12/1 and after 2 hrs on the phone with tier 2 support they finally got someone to set EVDO provisioning. Before that I only had 1x and data connection refused.

I looked at my account and only see Unlimited BB under the data section for my phone. I want to tether my laptop but wonder if I will get charged either per MB without the $15 EVDO on my account.

My question is if I connect using #777 via the 7130e modem (1x access not EVDO via VZWaccess) will it incur additional charges?
Old 12-04-2005, 12:11 AM   #289
rhsauer

Has anyone else found that the data connection on an EVDO enabled VZW 7250 totally dies after tethering? I've had to remove the battery to get it working again 2x over the last 2 days.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:33 AM   #290
RichP

Model: 8830
Lightbulb Data Connection Refused

Been getting DCR about 2-3 times a day for the last week...but this morning I noticed I have it and a roam indicator too! (I am home in my "home" area Monroe, NJ)

Can get anything but DCR when I turn wireless off & then on.

Will try removing battery - reboot...nope same thing!

Lemme try a *22899

No again.

So lemme check ##000000

Well that weird...some settings change

Can someone tell me what Mobile Dir # * IMSI_S should be?

My SIP id had changed to some other # along with the 2 fields mentioned above.

I changed Mobile Dir# and the sip back to reflect my # and I got 1XEV back
but still in ROAM

Going to make the IMSI field my number as well and see if that gets rid of the Roaming triangle...nope can't make calls either.

Can someone in central NJ do a ##00000 and tell me what they have for the first 9 fields (just put "mynumber" instead of your actual #)

Ok, I changed my Home Sid to 22 and now the roaming triangle went away.

Thanks,

Rich

Last edited by RichP; 12-04-2005 at 06:17 AM..
Old 12-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #291
MarkHolbrook

Hi, I just downloaded these three items and I'm about ready to go through the process (if I can find my USB cable!).

A couple of quick questions:

1) Can some one tell me what the tethering option is and what it does for you?

2) If I load these in the order I've seen in this thread do I lose my other loaded apps and have to reload them?

3) I use Link2Exchange for my BES... Anything I need to tell them if I do this to keep the link working correctly?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2005, 02:22 PM   #292
Jase88

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

1) This allows you to use your BB as a modem for your laptop via EVDO.
2) You will need to reload your apps.
3) No...business as usual. Your PIN and email is already registered.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #293
tobenning
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP
Been getting DCR about 2-3 times a day for the last week...but this morning I noticed I have it and a roam indicator too! (I am home in my "home" area Monroe, NJ)

Can get anything but DCR when I turn wireless off & then on.

Will try removing battery - reboot...nope same thing!

Lemme try a *22899

No again.

So lemme check ##000000

Well that weird...some settings change

Can someone tell me what Mobile Dir # * IMSI_S should be?

My SIP id had changed to some other # along with the 2 fields mentioned above.

I changed Mobile Dir# and the sip back to reflect my # and I got 1XEV back
but still in ROAM

Going to make the IMSI field my number as well and see if that gets rid of the Roaming triangle...nope can't make calls either.

Can someone in central NJ do a ##00000 and tell me what they have for the first 9 fields (just put "mynumber" instead of your actual #)

Ok, I changed my Home Sid to 22 and now the roaming triangle went away.

Thanks,

Rich
Mobile Dir and IMSI_S s/b your phone number. I'm from MA, so my settings probably wouldn't help.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:38 AM   #294
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

For those getting the roaming indicator on their 7250, you are not alone!

I have spoken with VZW and was assured that even though it is showing, being on a national roaming plan (such as America's Choice) assures that as long as you are within the 50 United States, you will NOT be charged for roaming. It took a day and a half before I was able to speak with VZW about this and so I had placed a number of calls in that time with the roaming indicator on and was told my account showed no roaming charges.

The bad news is that there is no understanding as to why it is happening. My best guess at this moment is that it's a result of what the VZW tech who posted on this thread earlier said; the cat got let out of the bag too early for non-business customers and all the kinks may not be fully worked out yet. It seems that there are variances on success for us non-business folks; some having no problems whatsoever (congratulations, Kontiki) and others having more headaches than it's worth, and all levels of situations in between. I am lucky to say that the roaming indicator is the only issue I face. When I'm in an EVDO-supported part of the country, my 7250 shows 1XEV as it should, when I'm not it shows 1X (not 1x anymore).

As for the recently released 7130, my understanding is it's the only phone with the EVDO capabilities built-in, hence VZW is marketing it as their first EVDO capable phone. This is definitely in line with the thought that EVDO support on the 7250 is only for the business folks.

Peace!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:56 AM   #295
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmadrid
For those getting the roaming indicator on their 7250, you are not alone!

I have spoken with VZW and was assured that even though it is showing, being on a national roaming plan (such as America's Choice) assures that as long as you are within the 50 United States, you will NOT be charged for roaming. It took a day and a half before I was able to speak with VZW about this and so I had placed a number of calls in that time with the roaming indicator on and was told my account showed no roaming charges.

The bad news is that there is no understanding as to why it is happening. My best guess at this moment is that it's a result of what the VZW tech who posted on this thread earlier said; the cat got let out of the bag too early for non-business customers and all the kinks may not be fully worked out yet. It seems that there are variances on success for us non-business folks; some having no problems whatsoever (congratulations, Kontiki) and others having more headaches than it's worth, and all levels of situations in between. I am lucky to say that the roaming indicator is the only issue I face. When I'm in an EVDO-supported part of the country, my 7250 shows 1XEV as it should, when I'm not it shows 1X (not 1x anymore).

As for the recently released 7130, my understanding is it's the only phone with the EVDO capabilities built-in, hence VZW is marketing it as their first EVDO capable phone. This is definitely in line with the thought that EVDO support on the 7250 is only for the business folks.

Peace!
Look in the 7100 forum AND at other posts in this thread. 7130 users are having the same types of issues those early adopters are having with the 7250 (business and non business alike)..

This is not about the cat getting out of the bag early as much as its about their being issues with Verizon's network (with respect to the data connection refused issue that affects the 7250 and the 7130) and that could also be causing the roaming issue you are seeing.

People need to stop focusing on what the supposed (no offense) VZWtech said and instead talk to their reps/tech on the phone or go to a local store (one user just reported that the phone techs said no, but the store got him up and running..

All of this simply shows Verizon has some serious internal communication issues going on..

Verizon has some serious problems, but it appears that if you keep at them, it will eventually get resolved.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:43 PM   #296
thegallier

Carrier: verizon

Well on a positive note, I used to get the DCR error about twice a day and for some unknown reason I only got it once over the last 4 days. I am in NY.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #297
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegallier
Well on a positive note, I used to get the DCR error about twice a day and for some unknown reason I only got it once over the last 4 days. I am in NY.
Sounds like maybe congratulations are in order!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #298
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Smile

Quote:
Look in the 7100 forum AND at other posts in this thread. 7130 users are having the same types of issues those early adopters are having with the 7250 (business and non business alike)..
You are correct about this.

Quote:
This is not about the cat getting out of the bag early as much as its about their being issues with Verizon's network (with respect to the data connection refused issue that affects the 7250 and the 7130) and that could also be causing the roaming issue you are seeing.
True, could be the reason some are seeing a roaming signal, no tech at VZW has been able to solve the puzzle as far as I can tell. But what is interesting about the purported network issues is that outages are not consistent, even within the same calling area. Neither are the supposed steps necessary to make this beast work. So is it SIMPLY network issues? I doubt it.

Quote:
People need to stop focusing on what the supposed (no offense) VZWtech said and instead talk to their reps/tech on the phone or go to a local store (one user just reported that the phone techs said no, but the store got him up and running..
Interesting perspective, I'm not sure that what VZWtech stated was incorrect, though.

The truth of the matter is that the EVDO upgrade for the 7250 was only initially supposed to be for business customers. What happened was that through this forum (and maybe from elsewhere, as well), non-business customers got ahold of the hyperlink giving VZW's business customers the instructions for upgrading the handheld firmware and the desktop software. With this in hand, it was easy for non-business customers to get access to something that probably wasn't supposed to be available to them quite yet (I know, I am one of them). Is that the reason there is a number of problems with the process? Not necessarily, but it can't be ruled out as a possibility.

Quote:
All of this simply shows Verizon has some serious internal communication issues going on..

Verizon has some serious problems, but it appears that if you keep at them, it will eventually get resolved.
As Mark Rejhon posted earlier in this thread, you have to understand there is a fundamental difference in the overall communication process of a company who has been built off the back of mergers and acquisitions as opposed to being built via a more traditional ground-up approach. The result is a whole cornucopia of technical and communication processes and procedures that usually vary by the region in which the original company did its business. I know from consulting for these tier 1 and 2 providers that what one region does, the other hates, and vice versa. It's a difficult obstacle to overcome, especially for a company as large as VZW.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #299
rinconmike

Model: 8703

I have not had the DCR on either my 7130 or 7250 since last Wednesday. I have seen the roaming icon on the 7130 while traveling a couple of hours from home. Have not traveled with the 7250. Both still jump from 1XEV to 1X when driving or in a weak signal area, but have not seen 1x ion a while.

Mike
Old 12-05-2005, 03:38 PM   #300
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmadrid
As Mark Rejhon posted earlier in this thread, you have to understand there is a fundamental difference in the overall communication process of a company who has been built off the back of mergers and acquisitions as opposed to being built via a more traditional ground-up approach. The result is a whole cornucopia of technical and communication processes and procedures that usually vary by the region in which the original company did its business. I know from consulting for these tier 1 and 2 providers that what one region does, the other hates, and vice versa. It's a difficult obstacle to overcome, especially for a company as large as VZW.
Hence why they have serious communication issues and why everyone who is having issues should keep pushing. Its not enough to excuse Verizon (as they regrow the monopoly that was split up long ago) because of the issues you state above.. Its sufficient to say, they have serious internal communication issues and that if you are persistent (and of course, polite), you will get what you want (with regards to this particular aspect)

Closed Thread