Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
designinme
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Default UMA at work - Security?

Please Login to Remove!

I am very new to the entire UMA feature on my blackberry. I have read some frequently asked questions, but I have a few specific questions regarding privacy when using UMA at work.

My phone does not get reception in my office, so I plugged in the password for our office wifi connection and have been able to make/receive calls over the wifi with great ease! I love it... not having reception while at work really sucks so this is working great.

Couple of questions...
If someone in the IT department was looking at what people were doing on the internet in the office, what kind of info about my usage from my phone would show up?

I am guessing the following things...

1. any web pages or emails I write over my office wifi would be visible to snooping eyes?

2. Phone calls and sms/mms messages traveling over the wifi connection would be encrypted and therefor wouldn't be an issue?

I guess I just want to make sure I am covering my ass. The wifi usage is not an issue, I just want to make sure what can/can not be detected if I am using wifi connection on my phone along with UMA for phone calls and sms/mms messaging....

I am guessing yahoo and things like this would also be visible....

Any clarification? Thanks
Old 04-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

I would assume that everything you send by company Wi-Fi is available for snooping. You should really be asking your IT department to make sure you won't be breaking any company policies.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
bladeToronto

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default UMA at work - Security?

By default, devices connected to BES are monitored, calls, sms etc. Company has all the rights to do it if they provide it to you.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
cypherpunks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Actually a UMA connection is more secure than a regular GSM connection. (GSM can apparently be cracked with a few thousand dollars worth of equipment) With UMA, your traffic is all encrypted via a IPSec tunnel back to T-Mobile's system. As long as you don't use the "Hotspot Browser" on your your BlackBerry, your activities should be safe. (the Hotspot Browser bypasses your carriers infrastructure and makes a direct connection to the web)
Closed Thread