Old 09-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
Tommy2125
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 216AF4A7
Carrier: Rogers
Default Do not download OS 147

Please Login to Remove!

Oh god, i read so much blog and forums and saw people throwing some pretty good feedback on the new 4.6.0.147 then i was like ah why not try it out....well guess what i jus got my Bold not too long ago plus i don't have much apps or even pictures or anything....but yet is laggs on my app screens scrolling down my 4 message on my SMS&MMS box is so LAGGIE! plus for me to call someone it laggs also! is a 4 second pause before it calls....i dunno guys i feel like OS 4.6.126 better still....Your choice but iam going back to 4.6.0.126 it feels like is better
Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I kinda agree with you. When I first installed .147, my phone reset for no reason at all and I thought, Oh no...

Then it was acting really slow but I think it was because of an app I had loaded on it. Now it's running great and I've had no slowness at all. I un-installed Black&White List (which the developer told me wasn't supported on the Bold but seemed to be working okay on .134.

Anyway, I think it's hard to say...do some of these apps cause the issues and it's really not the build at all? I think it's gonna be hazy for awhile if we all keep loaded these 'leaked' OS's and the developers of third party apps aren't supporting these builds.

Just my two cents. Sorry to hear that .147 wasn't working for ya.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
srotman

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I dunno... 147 seems to be working GREAT for me. All BB OS's have bloat, so you just remove them from Blackberry.alx before doing your upgrade.

I also find that doing a straight upgrade over the previous version that you were running tends to run into problems here and there. So there's a chance you're experiencing lag because your upgrade is conflicting with data from 126 that you were running before. Next time do a full wipe with JL_Cmdr before upgrading like many have recommended before and you might notice different results.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Tommy2125

Ya i dunno too well iam heading back to 126 and try to see if there is more user....having trouble...i do work for Rogers so it will be hard that the fact when i show them this awsome device...it LAGS so i want to give new user to BlackBerry a Good start.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
akc786

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Mobilink

I'm using it for the last 3 days and I don't have any issue with .147

Moreover, it is more stable then the previous versions. Memory leaks are very little.

I'm gonna stuck with it.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I do not think any of the new OS are worth upgrading to. I am on the original Rogers OS on AT&T and could not be more happy. BUT, I got great coverage.

3G needs excellent or really good coverage, less than that and you will have dropped calls and poor performance. If you have poor of less than good coverage and are having problems, a new OS will not help you.

Give it a few months and "maybe" there will be a OS that is worth upgrading to. My Bold is working to good to upgrade unless I need to.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
srotman

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I do not think any of the new OS are worth upgrading to. I am on the original Rogers OS on AT&T and could not be more happy. BUT, I got great coverage.

3G needs excellent or really good coverage, less than that and you will have dropped calls and poor performance. If you have poor of less than good coverage and are having problems, a new OS will not help you.

Give it a few months and "maybe" there will be a OS that is worth upgrading to. My Bold is working to good to upgrade unless I need to.
Sorry to have to correct you greggebhardt, but that's definitely not true. I agree that you need good coverage to have proper connection in the first place, but the issue people were/are having, including myself, was not a lack of just that.

The issue was the Bold's inability to lock onto the 3G network and not roll back to 2G EDGE. The various beta releases that have come out since 126 (Rogers'/RIM's latest official release) have made significant improvements on this, especially the latest beta 147.

Please don't forget that there is also a memory leak issue, especially with 126 that you're using now, and while 147 doesn't fix that, it does reduce the problem by up to 50% in some reported cases.

If you're happy with 126, that's fine. But RIM wouldn't be working hard on new OS versions if it didn't think there are some improvements to be made.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Marker
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
The various beta releases that have come out since 126 (Rogers'/RIM's latest official release)
Not sure if this just a typo, srotman, but the Rogers 'official release' is 125. Almost right after the Rogers release (maybe even before) the Hutcheson 126 OS was made available from RIM. I know when I got my Bold in the mail, two days after the launch, 126 was already downloadable from RIM.

All this to say that I agree with you, and 126 is an improvement over 125. I never ran 134, but in my opinion 147 runs the best yet in terms of browser speed, ability to hold a 3G signal, battery life and inter-window/app speed. I have all kinds of 3rd party apps running well under 147 and have had none of the problems reported in this thread or anywhere else. It would be nice to know why there is so much variablity on like devices accross the same network i.e. experience is not the same for all Rogers customers.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
estabulla

Seems fine on my side as well.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
gsibble

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

.147 seemed very slow to me when I first installed it. Everything was laggy. It still feels ever so slightly slower than before, but there is a lot more memory available.

I wish I hadn't of installed it, but now it's there. A new one will be out soon.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srotman View Post
Sorry to have to correct you greggebhardt, but that's definitely not true. I agree that you need good coverage to have proper connection in the first place, but the issue people were/are having, including myself, was not a lack of just that.

The issue was the Bold's inability to lock onto the 3G network and not roll back to 2G EDGE. The various beta releases that have come out since 126 (Rogers'/RIM's latest official release) have made significant improvements on this, especially the latest beta 147.

Please don't forget that there is also a memory leak issue, especially with 126 that you're using now, and while 147 doesn't fix that, it does reduce the problem by up to 50% in some reported cases.

If you're happy with 126, that's fine. But RIM wouldn't be working hard on new OS versions if it didn't think there are some improvements to be made.
Pulling my battery only returns a small amount of my 47mb of memory so I have to not agree with you on the original OS being a memory leaker.

For the average Bold user, updating to a beta OS is not worth the risk. I used te beta for the Curve and it provided new funtions and was an upgrade. 147 does not. There ARE improvements to be made but I suggest most wait a while as there are none worth it now.

There are as many who wished they had not installed 147 as there are that are glad they did.

Last edited by greggebhardt; 09-13-2008 at 01:09 PM..
Old 09-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx

If there was no reason to upgrade from the OS that came on the device, RIM would have newer builds. The fact there are newer builds on confirms the need to upgrade.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

There is no doubt there will be need to upgrade the Bold's OS.

Just not every week! Or even several times in a week.

Please do so as you wish, then tell us what you imagine the new upgrade did for you! LOL!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
foner

PIN: 2 something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Please do so as you wish, then tell us what you imagine the new upgrade did for you! LOL!
Why in God's name are you so freaking argumentative?!

Last edited by foner; 09-13-2008 at 03:25 PM..
Old 09-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
bbcan007

Model: 8310
Carrier: rogers

greggebhardt you are so correct .My city here in canada there is no problem with 3g full bars .The phone rocks ,except for 1 email that came in blank on my phone ,on my 2 partners phones it was fine, so do not know what happened.This phone needs full bars to work correctly,more of aproblem with rogers than the os of the bold
Old 09-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #16
CannedCorn

I hardly ever log in but today I felt I had to. Greggebhardt, I know you think you know what you are talking about, but you sound like a moron. If people want to upgrade their OS, which is a very good idea on a device and platform so early in it's life, tell them to go ahead. Flashing is not dangerous. You can occasionally get more bugs in a new build over an older one but for the most part upgrades fix many more problems than they introduce. That is a good thing.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #17
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedCorn View Post
I hardly ever log in but today I felt I had to. Greggebhardt, I know you think you know what you are talking about, but you sound like a moron. If people want to upgrade their OS, which is a very good idea on a device and platform so early in it's life, tell them to go ahead. Flashing is not dangerous. You can occasionally get more bugs in a new build over an older one but for the most part upgrades fix many more problems than they introduce. That is a good thing.
LOL! I have upgraded my Curve about 10-12 times and know what it is all about. I am glad that my comments got you to "log in"(?), at no time did I tell anyone NOT to upgrade. I experessed my moron opinion just as you have yours!

I will bow to your professional advice! <lol>
Old 09-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #18
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foner View Post
Why in God's name are you so freaking argumentative?!
Hearing that come from you is funny!

You need to go back and read some of your past comments.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #19
CannedCorn

I've done the same with my curve, and with this new upgrade my curve will probably be able to kick the crap out of that girly cat you have on your profile. LOL at you GrEBERHAHARHDHADHADHT, nobody cares about your crap opinion.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #20
Tommy2125

lol woah? did i miss something....what happen that got you two broke out in a fight O.O?
Closed Thread