Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #21
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Advice: go to an Apple or AT&T store and try it there.

The answer to your question: about 50-50.

The Bold has now passed its FCC clearance and needs only AT&T approval to reach "the wild".

But tweaks are still happening to the O/S and the approval from AT&T will happen based both on what they think of the latest tweak and how quickly the next tweak or two gets a big "Yes" (meaning no problems) from the Beta testers as well as from the carrier.

The FCC OK means (my own interpretation here) that the hardware can probably be frozen, give or take minor firmware modifications. The initial software load can happen after initial units are manufactured.

Thinking about the various lead times, it's more like 40-60 for 30 days, probably 60-40 by the end of August.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #22
JG in SB

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
I figured if I waited till the BOLD came out it would KILL the resale value of my unlocked 8310 so I put it up on eBay for $300 w/shipping "buy it now" price and it sold in 4 days so I'm itchin' for something new.
I can certainly understand that! I can't imagine how inconvenient things would be without my BlackBerry at my side.

What seems strange is that, with the pending release of the Bold, and the relatively short time until they are available, that the resale price of existing "previously-owned" handsets wouldn't already be taking a hit. Seriously, if I were considering purchasing a currently-available BB handset, I would still be waiting for the release of the Bold because I would probably be able to buy a new one at a discounted price direct from a retailer at that point (I think back to 8800 pricing when the 8820 came out).

I guess in any case it is good that you were able to reclaim some cash from your 8310. Looks like it is going to be a looooong couple of weeks for you. Hang in there
Old 07-13-2008, 12:18 AM   #23
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

No chance. Promise.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:19 AM   #24
diegovb

Model: None
Carrier: Entel PCS

And when in Chile? =)
Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #25
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

The Bold will not be out on AT&T in the next 30 days. If they had a 45 day return policy, then you might have a case. Why not wait another two to three weeks and then get the iPhone 3G?

I will say from personal experience (I have one sitting two inches from me), I love the concept of the AppStore and the applications - even the less-than-$10 games - are fairly top-notch (albeit QUITE glitchy). I've never bought an application for my BlackBerry (I've gotten most for free) nor have I ever bought a song on iTunes, but I found myself buying two games on the iPhone in the first day. The high speed is nice, but not usable at my home (only from the office and in minor-metro Atlanta), where I have to use Wi-Fi. With ActiveSync enabled in Push mode while on Wi-Fi at my home, in an idle state (no use by me), I'm getting roughly 8-16 hours of battery life (not a full day).
Old 07-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #26
psyct1

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
The Bold will not be out on AT&T in the next 30 days. If they had a 45 day return policy, then you might have a case. Why not wait another two to three weeks and then get the iPhone 3G?

I will say from personal experience (I have one sitting two inches from me), I love the concept of the AppStore and the applications - even the less-than-$10 games - are fairly top-notch (albeit QUITE glitchy). I've never bought an application for my BlackBerry (I've gotten most for free) nor have I ever bought a song on iTunes, but I found myself buying two games on the iPhone in the first day. The high speed is nice, but not usable at my home (only from the office and in minor-metro Atlanta), where I have to use Wi-Fi. With ActiveSync enabled in Push mode while on Wi-Fi at my home, in an idle state (no use by me), I'm getting roughly 8-16 hours of battery life (not a full day).
I've been back and forth on the iPhone or waiting on the Bold... I must say even though I love my MacBook, I don't think I could get used to the keyboard-less iPhone. And with what jibi just said about battery life, that really pushes me away... Even though I do not have a BES account, I have important emails forwarded to me from my Exchange Email to my gmail, in fact, a lot of the time I'll get the forwarded message on my 8310 before it even pops up in Outlook (still stuck in the server)...

Other than the above, I have been NOTHING but pleased with the Blackberry OS's thus far... I've never had a solid "freeze" that MADE me pull the battery, I'd just wait (the longest was 30 seconds) and the hourglass would disappear and the phone would be lightning fast again... My battery (I bought one of the first OEM sized extended batteries Seidio released) would last 2-3 days with my typical use, and if I find myself on the "pooper" more than usual and my games are used a bit more, then I'll only use MAYBE a half a day or so...

iPhone not even having a full days worth of the battery, and the lack of an aftermarket fix is pushing me even farther past the line between Bold and iPhone...

/rant
Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #27
StayFrostyx23
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Well all I have to say is it better be out quick because I want one. :D
Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #28
akim911
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000