Old 10-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
hsuanstr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation New 8320 user

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all I have come across this forum and read a lot of your helpful advices and I just have some simple questions that needs to be answered.

The current plan I am under is standard 39.99 voice plan, plus unlimited text/picture plan. I decided not to get a data plan because it doesn't come with unlimited text, and I have wifi at home at campus and at my lab. Anywho here are some of my questions

1. I notice that when using the browser over wifi it doesn't allow me to go to just any site so far I've only been able to go to msn mobile, facebook mobile, and some other small sites. I can't access google mobile, or wikipedia or anything like that. Is it because the blackberry browser restricts me from visiting certain sites, or is it because I'm not under the data plan? Are there any other browsers that you guys would highly recommend.

2. I am unable to connect to AIM via wifi is it suppose to be like that? And are there any programs that allows me to use AIM via wifi, or uses SMS?

3. For my Treo I was able to connect to my e-mail via outlook through wifi. Does blackberry have a program that allows me to do the same?

4. My computer connects through bluetooth but the desktop manager doesn't recognize the connection, however it does recognize the USB connection, has anyone had problems with that, should I update my bluetooth version?

Sorry for this long list but thanks in advance for any help! -Eric
Old 10-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
hsuanstr

bump please help??
Old 10-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

1. You need a data plan. However, you can call TMobile and ask to have the "feature enabler" added to your plan (no cost) and see if that helps.

2. Those features require a data plan.

3. You can't get your email without a data plan.

4. You'll need to remove the installed vendor bluetooth drivers from your pc and install the basic windows drivers. Do some searching of the forums as it's been discussed before but I can't remember just what the procedure is. Honestly, the USB cable is so much simpler and faster than Bluetooth.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
hsuanstr

is there a browser that will not hold restrictions?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Not without a BB data plan.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #6
Pinman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-mobile

What is this feature enabler that you speak of???
Old 10-05-2007, 12:24 AM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...abler-uma.html
Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 AM   #8
hsuanstr

setting up a blackberry e-mail through t-mo is it free?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuanstr View Post
setting up a blackberry e-mail through t-mo is it free?
yes...with a BB data plan. Are you seeing the underlying problem here?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:13 AM   #10
Pinman

This may be the dumbest question of the day....but here goes.

So I was told by TMo that I can browse the internet on the Curve using my home wifi network with actually getting the 9.99 or the 19.99 plan. Because according to this thread it seems like you can not, unless you pay for the extra plans.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:19 AM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

That's why I suggested the feature enabler. I've never used a BB on TMo without a data plan. You can try calling TMo and having it added to your account and see what happens.

Honestly, though, $19.99 is reasonable for what you get with a data plan. Unlimited data, push email, internet, tethering (using BB as a modem for your laptop (I'm using mine right now) Full wifi access, etc.) You really get a lot and everything just works.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #12
hsuanstr

no i browse through wifi all the time, at a pretty fast rate also, its just that without the data plan I'm restricted.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:42 AM   #13
Pinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
That's why I suggested the feature enabler. I've never used a BB on TMo without a data plan. You can try calling TMo and having it added to your account and see what happens.

Honestly, though, $19.99 is reasonable for what you get with a data plan. Unlimited data, push email, internet, tethering (using BB as a modem for your laptop (I'm using mine right now) Full wifi access, etc.) You really get a lot and everything just works.
I see what you mean....but everywhere I am (except in the car, which can't do much e-mail or internet while driving) has wifi...My house, work and all of downtown here is wifi covered....so I really didnt want to get the data plan since I already have the Hotspot@home plan for UMA.
And that 19.99 plan adds up really quick...$39.99 for plan/ $9.99 for [email address] 19.99 for data which equals $70 before taxes and service fees. An extra $240/yr when I am already paying for internet at home.

So i would like to be able to use the internet on the rare occurances that I may need it like in a hotel (with wifi).
Old 10-05-2007, 06:42 AM   #14
Pinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuanstr View Post
no i browse through wifi all the time, at a pretty fast rate also, its just that without the data plan I'm restricted.
How restricted are we talking about here???
Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #15
hsuanstr

So here's the update I got the feature enabler and it fixed a lot of things, I am able to go on AIM, my WiFi got a bit faster although is was already pretty fast, and I'm getting better WiFi connection. I just have one last question

When I'm connect and on the top right it shows (WiFi Logo) EDGE, am I'm using WiFi right and I won't get charged extra for EDGE? When my wifi does dissapear and it shows EDGE only would I be charged how do I turn off EDGE?

Secondly if I go to Manage Connections -> Mobile Network Options and turn off Data Services does that allow me to turn off EDGE? And for connection Preference if I choose WiFi only does that only allow me to browse the web with wifi?

Lastly when I browse My T-Mobile, it shows
Feature: RIM Blackberry Time Period: Whenever Type: Megabytes Inclu: Unlimited Remaining: Unlimited, does that mean I have unlimited BIS/BES or is it because I activated Feature Enabler. Thanks a lot btw I am under unlimited text/picture message plan

Last edited by hsuanstr; 10-05-2007 at 08:29 AM..
Closed Thread