Old 08-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
NoBox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT&Verizon
Default Emperor Has No Clothes

Please Login to Remove!

I'm posting this as a reminder that what we get from internet forums is often worth exactly what it costs, and in some cases less.

In the upgrade caused me to look at other phones I was told I was incompetent and that both I and others who had the same experience were wrong. You can read the thread yourself.

This, to me was and is a minor matter but I finally made time to check it out with ATT and RIM. Both told me that, in fact, ATT does push the ATT Address Book to devices without customer specific approval. (My original claim). ATT rep said if someone doesn't want it they can ask for it to be disabled but that isn't always successful because they consider it to be a feature that everyone wants. The RIM rep basically agreed and said he had just experienced an episode where an ATT manager wanted off the address book and they were unsuccessful in going that because ATT just kept pushing it to his phone.

I asked why RIM permitted this since they had a key part in the communication package. The rep said that is part of the negotiated contract with this carrier. So, allowing the carrier to do things is very much a part of the bb business model.

Although this exchange showed I was correct and the self-proclaimed experts were not that isn't the point. The point is we all need to be careful not to put more crediblity into internet posts and information that they deserve.

Oh yes, the emperor thing. Refer to the fable.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Emperor Has No Clothes

What's your point? That AT&T does what they want?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBox View Post
....The point is we all need to be careful not to put more crediblity into internet posts and information that they deserve.
I will definitely take your advice and apply that caveat to this thread.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
I will definitely take your advice and apply that caveat to this thread.
Indeed!

Amazing, neither mine nor my wife's 9800 has had this nefarious app pushed to them without approval. Gee, I guess we must both have defective phones!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
abhityt

Model: 8520
Carrier: dont know

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBox View Post
I'm posting this as a reminder that what we get from internet forums is often worth exactly what it costs, and in some cases less.

In the upgrade caused me to look at other phones I was told I was incompetent and that both I and others who had the same experience were wrong. You can read the thread yourself.

This, to me was and is a minor matter but I finally made time to check it out with ATT and RIM. Both told me that, in fact, ATT does push the ATT Address Book to devices without customer specific approval. (My original claim). ATT rep said if someone doesn't want it they can ask for it to be disabled but that isn't always successful because they consider it to be a feature that everyone wants. The RIM rep basically agreed and said he had just experienced an episode where an ATT manager wanted off the address book and they were unsuccessful in going that because ATT just kept pushing it to his phone.

I asked why RIM permitted this since they had a key part in the communication package. The rep said that is part of the negotiated contract with this carrier. So, allowing the carrier to do things is very much a part of the bb business model.

Although this exchange showed I was correct and the self-proclaimed experts were not that isn't the point. The point is we all need to be careful not to put more crediblity into internet posts and information that they deserve.

Oh yes, the emperor thing. Refer to the fable.
I already knew about this and have already taken this advice.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

NoBox, what is it that you want here?
Someone to tell you that you were right all along?

That won't happen, because you were not and still are not right about this matter.
It's not a RIM matter.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
DallasFlier

PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

NoBox, I know you still think you're right and everyone else is wrong, but here is the word, straight from AT&T support forums:
Quote:
<What is the AT&T Address Book?>

On the AT&T Blackberry Torch 9800, under Setup, there are different icons for features you want to set up. One of them is called AT&T Address Book. When you click on that icon, it begins the registration process for AT&T Address Book. You have the choice to Accept or Decline.

Once accepted, all future contacts created on the device can only be listed on the AT&T Address Book contact list. It is no longer possible to create contacts in the Default address book on the device.
Note carefully where it says there are different icons to set up features you WANT, and you have to CLICK ON AT&T Address Book to begin the registration process, and you HAVE THE CHOICE TO ACCEPT OR DECLINE.

Sometime, during initial SETUP, using the SETUP app, you CLICKED on the icon for AT&T Address Book and then CLICKED on Accept.

I never used the SETUP app (choosing to set my new Torch up via the online AT&T BIS site), so I surely didn't CLICK on the AT&T Address Book icon, and therefore I didn't have to click accept or decline. Pretty simple, really!

Torch 9800: How do I disable AT&T Address Book? - AT&T Community Support
Old 08-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

NoBox was WRONG, plain and simple. He said it was RIM's fault that AT&T pushed this service onto devices they sell and that RIM should have prevented it. That's just not how it works, especially when it's the carriers that sell your phones. But hey, why let simple facts stand in the way of a good rant?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

I was going to make some popcorn, but I don't think even popcorn can save this thread.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Amazing.

There are a number of things pushed to my device that are not operating because I did not activate them. Being pushed to the device means just that. It's there. And if it is deleted, it gets pushed again, as most people know.

NoBox, it was there. You clicked. You accepted and clicked submit, or the equivalent of that process.

Time to get past denial and face facts.

And don't believe much of anything carrier reps tell you.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
scottae316

Carrier: AT&T

I have a 9810, you can stop AT&T Address Book. Go into the options.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottae316 View Post
I have a 9810, you can stop AT&T Address Book. Go into the options.
The issue isn't what to do now. The OP's claim was that the remote backup was done automatically without user consent, and that RIM is at fault, both of which have several times been demonstrated to be untrue.

And now the OP, still ignoring facts, comes back to tell us that some others, who don't know any better either, have agreed with him.

Last edited by aiharkness; 09-24-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Can I ask RIM to push this AT&T app to my T-Mobile b'berry?
Closed Thread