Old 01-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
k9th
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: 30D86D60
Carrier: VZW
Default Rant: MMS, SMS, IM, Double & Triple Charging

Please Login to Remove!

I want to know why VZW and every other carrier charges for text messages if you have an unlimited data plan? Data is data and a digital packet is a digital packet no matter what the content. To differentiate and call one data and the other text is disingenuous at best - and outright lying at worst. There is no difference in the digital world between voice, data, text, IM or whatever. It is all digital packets traveling along the wire or across the airwaves. To me, some litigious attorney should file a class action lawsuit and pursue the double and triple charging that these carriers are doing by charging for text messages and IM if you have a data plan.

Last edited by k9th; 01-11-2009 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Added "unlimited" to data plan.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

text travels over the voice network not the data
Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
k9th
Thumbs Must Hurt

So you think there are two networks still existing - an analog voice network and a digital data network? What documentation do you have to back that up? Years ago there was an analog voice network but I don't think it exists anymore since I was forced several years ago to switch to a digital phone and get rid of my analog Nokia phone since the analog phone would no longer work on the new digital netwrk.

It is my understanding it is all digital now.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I can receive a text message while I'm on the phone (same 'path'), but I cannot use both phone and the BB browser (different paths).

Proof enough?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

what the lady said^
Old 01-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9th View Post
So you think there are two networks still existing - an analog voice network and a digital data network? What documentation do you have to back that up? Years ago there was an analog voice network but I don't think it exists anymore since I was forced several years ago to switch to a digital phone and get rid of my analog Nokia phone since the analog phone would no longer work on the new digital netwrk.

It is my understanding it is all digital now.
Just because it is digital does not mean that it isn't separate from the data network. Telephone calls are still made over a circuit-switched network. SMS messages are sent through the control channels on that system. On the other hand, MMS messages, e-mails, and IM's (in most cases) are sent over the data network, but they are still charged as a message. This is simply the way US carriers choose to bill for messages.

Now that I've given you the explanation, here's the way you solve your problem: GET A MESSAGING PLAN, and stop whining about it.

Last edited by dc/dc; 01-11-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Old 01-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I can receive a text message while I'm on the phone (same 'path'), but I cannot use both phone and the BB browser (different paths).

Proof enough?
Pssst! You can use the browser and other data services while on the phone if you are on a UMTS/HSPA network.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Pssst! You can use the browser and other data services while on the phone if you are on a UMTS/HSPA network.
Yeah, but I figured since the OP didn't know about sms messaging traveling the voice path, the whole UMTS/HSPA thing might just muddy the waters.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Yeah, but I figured since the OP didn't know about sms messaging traveling the voice path, the whole UMTS/HSPA thing might just muddy the waters.
Very true. We must speak in short sentences it appears...
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
k9th
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for your input. BTW - I have an unlimited data plan and a sizable text plan. My bill averages over $200/month with all of our phones so I am not whining. I am not sure that what you are saying is correct since it flies in the face of logic. And, also, as I am new to this forum having just recently purchased a BB migrating from a Treo, many of you seem very intolerant of opposing views, thought provoking discussion, and general presentations of opinions. In a forum, one should be able to express themselves without being the recipient of insults and innuendo.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Flies in the face of logic? What logic?

And sorry if you seem to think we are insulting or innuendo'ing you. I think you need a thicker skin. I don't care if you just came from a Treo, iPhone, or outer space.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:

And sorry if you seem to think we are insulting or innuendo'ing you. I think you need a thicker skin. I don't care if you just came from a Treo, iPhone, or outer space.
X2.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Thanks for your input. BTW - I have an unlimited data plan and a sizable text plan. My bill averages over $200/month with all of our phones so I am not whining. I am not sure that what you are saying is correct since it flies in the face of logic. And, also, as I am new to this forum having just recently purchased a BB migrating from a Treo, many of you seem very intolerant of opposing views, thought provoking discussion, and general presentations of opinions. In a forum, one should be able to express themselves without being the recipient of insults and innuendo.
You are in fact whining, and we are in fact correct. Please feel free to research it.

You've expressed yourself, and we've expressed ourselves.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #14
k9th
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Proof enough?
Actually you can use the phone and the browser at the same time very easily. On my Storm I can make a call, press the BB button while in the middle of the call, select Switch Applications, and then launch the browser and surf the web. It is very simple. You can do it all simultaneously on a digital system - that's why they switched to it, along with conserving bandwidth on the airwaves. That's why it makes no sense to have dual systems. These people are in business, costs and profits matter. They are going to do it as cheaply as possible.

They charge, let's say. $.40/minute airtime if you go over your allotment. They charge $.10/SMS or 1/4 the per minute rate. Do you really think it takes 15 seconds to send an SMS message? NO, it takes milliseconds, not even a second. The prices they charge are ridiculous thus the adoption of the monthly SMS plans.

But if you have an unlimited data plan, SMS should be included in that plan - it is double charging for the same service.

Last edited by k9th; 01-12-2009 at 01:46 AM..
Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #15
k9th
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

It defies logic that there would be two systems to handle identical digital packets. What would be the purpose? All the system knows is that it is processing a digital packet with binary code including routing. Once it is received by my phone's receiver, in a very simplistic type of explanation, it is either routed to the phone's audio processing system and heard as voice, or it is routed to the main processor and messaging system and displayed as text. Those packets that contain HTML information are routed to the browser and displayed as either text or graphics or whatever is on the web page. Why would anyone want to develop mulitiple systems to handle identical digital packets?

I don't need a thicker skin, but a little mutual respect would help. Is it really necessary to make statements like "We must speak in short sentences it appears", or "I don't care if you just came from a Treo, iPhone, or outer space."

Last edited by k9th; 01-12-2009 at 01:41 AM..
Old 01-12-2009, 04:12 AM   #16
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

very simply put

sms uses the voice part of the network. so what that means, is, its bound to the gsm/cdma voice packets, with that said if you turn your data plan off, you will still get sms, now, you can goto verizon and just get a data plan bb, no voice it wont get sms text since it has no phone number associated with it.

best explanation is
compare it to the internet

you get internet to your house, why do you pay more for internet tv, or internet voip when its the same internet brining it to your house.

anyway hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 AM   #17
mizditz101
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhne
Carrier: AT&T

It's like why none of my friends with trackphones or other prepay, usually cant get pictures! voice only!
Gosh I'm so smart.

If you have a data package, texts have NEVER been covered
unless it says Data + Messaging... Thats usually the only time texts are included

I still say what juwaack said is the best answer
I cannot recieve emails while on the phone, or picture messages. I can recieve texts. So, they're different!

and.. I just had to say this cuz it makes mini sense in my head
Texting came out before web browsing did = they made a different network for that
ie
EVDO - on verizon and cricket and suck
EDGE - on tmo, att and such

before it was just 1x and gsm. (If im not mistaken?)

Last edited by mizditz101; 01-12-2009 at 05:37 AM..
Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #18
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9th
Quote:

Proof enough?
Actually you can use the phone and the browser at the same time very easily. On my Storm I can make a call, press the BB button while in the middle of the call, select Switch Applications, and then launch the browser and surf the web. It is very simple. You can do it all simultaneously on a digital system - that's why they switched to it, along with conserving bandwidth on the airwaves. That's why it makes no sense to have dual systems. These people are in business, costs and profits matter. They are going to do it as cheaply as possible.

They charge, let's say. $.40/minute airtime if you go over your allotment. They charge $.10/SMS or 1/4 the per minute rate. Do you really think it takes 15 seconds to send an SMS message? NO, it takes milliseconds, not even a second. The prices they charge are ridiculous thus the adoption of the monthly SMS plans.

But if you have an unlimited data plan, SMS should be included in that plan - it is double charging for the same service.
Your storm has two transceivers one for voice and one for data. Just like any other 3G phone. Use a blackberry curve or 88xx from verizon and you will only be able to use voice/sms or internet.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #19
k9th
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for all of the good exchange of information.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #20
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
It is NOT the same service.