Old 07-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
guttertrash
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers
Default i think having wifi on blocks SMS messages

Please Login to Remove!

Hi i just got a 8120 today, and i've been playing around with the wifi on it (on my wireless modem at home) and it seems to work okay for browsing and stuff, but i think it might be blocking me from recieveing SMS messages. i've been doing tests all evening with my wife's phone (on rogers, same as me) as well as my sister's (on a different network) and i can send just fine and they recieve almost instantly, but none of their replies or new texts are coming through.

i deleted all my service books and restarted because i read that might help, and it did, after a short delay i recieved all the previous texts they tried sending. this was without wifi on though. once i turned it on and tried to send another from my wife's phone, it wasn't recieved til a short time after i turned off wifi.

i suppose it could be just a coincidence, but are there known issues with this phone and bugs with wifi?

it's OS 4.5.0.37 if that helps
Old 07-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 4.6.0.67)

Do you have UMA on during this time? If not your wifi is just for data, and sms travels over the voice network.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
guttertrash
Thumbs Must Hurt

yeah UMA is on at the time. (I thought UMA and wifi connection were the same thing, is UMA something different?)
Old 07-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

UMA allows voice, which SMS travels over. You should be getting SMS fine if you have UMA and not uma
Old 07-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
guttertrash
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Okay so its definitely UMA not uma and it also shows both Rogers and my home network in the banner so regardless of the uma part it should be receiving SMS over the Rogers network if it can't come through the wifi correct?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
guttertrash
Thumbs Must Hurt

this is really getting frustrating since i really don't understand it at all. apparently i am a complete idiot when it comes to setting up wifi

after reading up a bit more on the forums, it sounds like i need an additional package on my rogers account in order for UMA to work properly? or is that for voice calls to work over wifi? cuz i don't really care about that, i rarely even come close to using up my minutes each month.

all i want is, when i'm at home, i want to be able to do 'free' web browsing over the wireless router. i really don't need to, my data plan is practically unlimited as far as i'm concerned, but i want to because i can, and because apparently it's faster network speeds.

as it is right now, i can connect to my home network (and it shows "Rogers - [home network]" in the banner, wifi icon is there and the UMA is showing) but it won't load any pages. as well as the aforementioned not recieving SMS messages while wifi is enabled.

also in my router's firewall settings, my blackberry is allowed full access to the internets, so i don't think that's the problem

Last edited by guttertrash; 07-13-2008 at 05:26 PM..
Old 07-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
sugar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMobile

Not sure why it would stop SMS but yes you can browse from your phone at home without a data plan.
see below for some troubleshooting. Hope it works for you.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-fi-curve.html
Old 07-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
guttertrash
Thumbs Must Hurt

k i think i got it, i changed my browser default to hotspot browser and i'm browsing through UMA just fine, as well as receiving SMS messages. It seems to stop working if i leave the wifi on for too long without use, but that's a minor issue, i just have to reset the connection.

i also have to switch the browser default everytime i go between wifi and EDGE or else it doesn't work on EDGE, which sucks

meh
Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttertrash View Post

snip

it's OS 4.5.0.37 if that helps
On my 8320 on 4.5.0.42 and .44 I couldn't receive sms. The way I managed to fix it is I put the SIM into my old Razr and then the messages came through. Then when I put it back into the Curve the capability stuck, although it did also revert back to no sms capability once and I had to put it back into the Razr.

It did finally hold for a fairly long time before I upgraded to .52. Since then I've had no problems with sms.

My post here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/beta...tml#post999908

So if you go cellular with it, do all the messages that were waiting come through? I didn't notice anything like that, it just kinda "turned off" on the SIM.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
guttertrash
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
So if you go cellular with it, do all the messages that were waiting come through? I didn't notice anything like that, it just kinda "turned off" on the SIM.
yeah eventually they all start coming. sometimes all at once, sometimes in waves of 3 or something. sometimes right away, sometimes after a half hour or so.

but since i switched the browser to hotspot they come in while UMA is on, so i dunno, it's weird
Closed Thread