BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
serrano_yejo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Question THE $199.99 TREND... first iPhone 3G now...Samsung Instinct $199.99 After Rebate

Please Login to Remove!

I guess the xxx8220;Device Warsxxx8221; have officially begun.

Samsung Instinct to Cost $199.99 After Rebate | PhoneNews.com

PRICEPOINT SET...

"How much? $250? I can get an iPhone 3G for $50 less... "

Do you guys think that this is part of EL JOBSO plan... to make seem every other device overpriced???
Old 06-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

Of course it's part of the plan. Quite brilliant actually. Why buy a $500 BlackBerry when you can get a $200 iPhone? I mean, all of us here and alot of the general public will catch on to this but you don't see an asterisk on Apple's website telling you how you're going to pay more more for that $200 iPhone in the long run.

Even at WWDC, they never got into specifics. They've come to light now...especially on mac sites... but people (yep, me included) will be pulling out their wallets come July 11th. I know I'm paying in the long run but I think most out there just think it's an 'amazing' deal to get an iPhone for $200 without thinking of the long term cost.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
serrano_yejo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Do you guys think the BOLD will be co$ting more than $199.99?
Old 06-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

My guess is that it probably will, but it's hard to say with the price wars that have been going on lately.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
PghBartender

Model: 8130
PIN: 31991054
Carrier: Verizon

In the end the consumers who go out and buy these new cool phones will suffer either from poor software and or issues with these new cool phones. I have had almost every carrier and all different types of "COOL" new handsets but in the end im back to a BlackBerry.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
integlspwr

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghBartender View Post
In the end the consumers who go out and buy these new cool phones will suffer either from poor software and or issues with these new cool phones. I have had almost every carrier and all different types of "COOL" new handsets but in the end im back to a BlackBerry.
that is true. im always back with the sidekick because of the software.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
fractured
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrano_yejo View Post
Who knows, but it's the best competitive price (point).
Old 06-12-2008, 05:05 AM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
If it does cost $199 it will be a first! The older RIM devices for sale on ATT cost more. So it would be quite a change from the past.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #9
OzzieDog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I guess the “Device Wars” have officially begun.

Samsung Instinct to Cost $199.99 After Rebate | PhoneNews.com

PRICEPOINT SET...

"How much? $250? I can get an iPhone 3G for $50 less... "

Do you guys think that this is part of EL JOBSO plan... to make seem every other device overpriced???
I was in the AT&T store in Cedar Hill, Texas and sales person told me that the new iPhone would be offered for $199.99 with a new two year contract, new being new customers. Present customers would have to pay $299.99 with two year extension.
The Bold he claims would go for $399.99 for new customers with two year contract. Present customers $499.99 with two year extension and to buy with no contract extension since I'm not eligible $699.99. Looks like I will be waiting for sometime for prices to come down on the Bold.
I think the guy may have been trying to get rid of me, has anyone else heard this?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I'm saying $299 for the Bold with contract. And as for the iphone data, its the same as their other 3G phones now. I want to see the data plan for the Bold, see if they change the price on it.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieDog View Post
I was in the AT&T store in Cedar Hill, Texas and sales person told me that the new iPhone would be offered for $199.99 with a new two year contract, new being new customers. Present customers would have to pay $299.99 with two year extension.
The Bold he claims would go for $399.99 for new customers with two year contract. Present customers $499.99 with two year extension and to buy with no contract extension since I'm not eligible $699.99. Looks like I will be waiting for sometime for prices to come down on the Bold.
I think the guy may have been trying to get rid of me, has anyone else heard this?
First rule, never listen to sales persons, as they are often clueless. The $199 price applies to EVERYONE. You simply have to enter into a 2 year contract.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #12
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

the BB plan is supposed to stay exactly the same. As for the price, keep in mind that every one that upgrade/buys a new device can trade their old one in. Even paying full price i always got at least $100 back from RIM on the trade up program ( blackberry.tradeups.com ) so if the 9000 does got for $300/$400, you can bet ill get it for between $150-$250 with contract.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

the 8820 right now is $499 w/o contract so that $299 still looks about right for price with contract to me. I doubt they will drop anything to compete, no need to really, that why i was asking about the data plan.

Argon, also don't forget that current iphone users can get the $199 / $299 deals as well. *not to sound like an ad*
Old 06-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
iceman027
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

I would feel that the Bold would be priced the same as the 3G iphone to compete with it
Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

They might feel the need to drop the price to compete with the new iPhone. But in my mind, I really don't see why RIM would feel they need to compete with it. BB's are and will always be business-centric.

However, with them trying to be more consumer-friendly, I guess they could go that route.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #16
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Pricing is really up to ATT

I think 299 for 9000 on 2year contract new or upgrade after rebate.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #17
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkomatic View Post
They might feel the need to drop the price to compete with the new iPhone. But in my mind, I really don't see why RIM would feel they need to compete with it. BB's are and will always be business-centric.

However, with them trying to be more consumer-friendly, I guess they could go that route.
What? Why wouldn't they want to compete. If they weren't interested in the consumer market, then the Pearl and now the Bold would not exist in their present form. Please, stop with the stupid talk. Glad you're not running RIM.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #18
fractured
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkomatic View Post

You need to make up your mind on exactly what it is you're trying to convey, because right now you're just contradicting yourself.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #19
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
What? Why wouldn't they want to compete. If they weren't interested in the consumer market, then the Pearl and now the Bold would not exist in their present form. Please, stop with the stupid talk. Glad you're not running RIM.
What in the world?? Why is there the need to insult me ArgonNJ? BlackBerry products evolve...or would you rather still be running a 7290?

I'm stating my opinion which I thought was allowed on this board. If you don't like it, there is no need for rude comments, simply ignore my post and move along.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #20
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured View Post
You need to make up your mind on exactly what it is you're trying to convey, because right now you're just contradicting yourself.
My post was sort of a 'thinking out loud' thing. Like ArgonNJ so eloquently expressed, I'm not running RIM.

RIM is huge with business users. They are tapping into the consumer market now. I'm sure they would love it if every phone in the world was a BlackBerry so, sure, why not compete with Apple. However, I think they have such a strong hold on business users that it's still their bread and butter.

Sorry, I re-read my post and still don't see how I'm contradicting myself...
Closed Thread