Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Matrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Fido
Default New 8320 Semi-Restarting Problem

Please Login to Remove!

I have an interesting problem that I hope can be fixed. Today I bought an 8320 that is T-Mobile Branded and came in the original T-Mobile box and everything, but it was unlocked so I can use it with Fido in Canada. The phone works fine for the most part but has a random semi-restarting issue. The screen turns off, then the LED glows Red for about 3 seconds, then the screen goes white for like 2 seconds, and turns back to exactly where I was in the menu. So it doesn't do an entire restart but does something that is weird. I upgraded the software and it still does this. I called the guy that sold it to me, and he says that i need to call TECH support to give me some code or direction on how to make the phone stop doing this, he claims it happens to all 8320s because of wifi, the wifi is trying to connect or do something. It cant be that this is a normal occurrence, can anyone give me some help and tell me what to do, or how to fix it. tnx
Old 09-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

No, that's not normal. Did you reload the same 4.2 OS on it or did you load OS 4.5? I would wipe the device and reload OS 4.5 and see what happens. There was an issue with older OS's where when attempting to connect them to N routers the device would reboot. However, what you describe doesn't sound familiar. Chances are the device is defective.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Matrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

it was originally 4.2 (problem), then i upgraded to 4.5 (problems) So now I am doing a complete wipe with JL_Cmder and installing 4.5 again FRESH, hope this works. If it doesn't I'm gonna wipe again and install4.2 (a different version). Also If it is the wifi giving me these problems, how can I tell the wifi to stop connecting to my network or trying to do anything.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
DenSimDan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I've heard of this problem before and it was definitely tied to the wifi. With Wifi off the phone was fine but once on the same thing happened
Old 09-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Matrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have unplugged my router even, The wifi is off on the device and I didnt even configure a network. Right now I'm downgrading to 4.5 because even after a clean 4.5 It still had the exact same issue. What could I do if it is tired to wifi. Is this fixable at all, I am tempted to even make a video and upload it to show you guys what exactly is going on if my description of the problem isn't clear enough.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Matrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Problem Fixed

I think I have fixed the problem after hours of OS upgrades and downgrades. Ok well I installed 4.2.2.184 after tons of other OSs and this one works flawlessly. I don't know if this is an isolated case or has happened to many, The guy I bought the phone off of has tons of these phones and says all have the same problem. So if you guys can ad this FIX for other ppl that may have this problem that would be awesome because I sure am happy to have the phone working properly. Tnx for everything guys, I appreciate it.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
mrsveezy

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile
Default what to do

any advice on what to do when this DOESNT work? I have wiped 2x and reinstalled 4.2
NOTHING~!!!

where do i find 4.5?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
geekboy2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I love the features and performance of the Curve, but I had to return my first Curve for the re-starting problem. This second one has been great, except for one instance where it went through about 80% of the security check at startup, and then re-started. Only once, but enough to make me nervous. It's really a shame, since for me, having the great BB Push e-mail, and WiFi/UMA, makes this the perfect phone for me. Having to wonder if I'll eventually be stung by the re-starting issue again, is not good. I'll be the first to sing the praises of the phone, but after reading about so many re-starting issues on so many forums, I can say it's certainly no 8700 in terms of reliability. I've actually considered selling it or attempting to return it again, and buying a new 8700. I really don't want to give up the WiFi/UMA if I don't have to though. Anyway, I've read the posts about corrupt files on the MicroSD card, and although that seems to have resolved the issue for some, it makes no sense to me. The first Curve had the same files on it as this second one does. And, it had the same files on it, as my Centro, my Sony Ericsson Z750, and a few other phones. Sadly, I think the Curve series is a bit flakey. Having done all that you have, I'd suggest trying to get it replaced if you can, and hope for a better second unit.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
mrsveezy

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile

well see- the problem is that i bought it on ebay in may and that person no longer has an account with tmobile. Soooo....new policy states tehy must ahve the phone on the original acct :P Looks like im SOL
Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

What exactly is the problem you're having?
Closed Thread