Old 03-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
rentawitch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange
Default problems with Orange in West London - advice needed

Please Login to Remove!

I have had a problem ongoing with Orange where I suddenly lose access to Yahoo Messenger and/or the internet.
I get
Internal Server Error
Connection error 65 (and once 66 just for variety)
Orange were being as helpful as they could be. They changed the phone after checking everything. Still no joy. I was told there was a randomly occurring problem with OS5 so they upgraded me to an OS6 9780. Still no joy.
I rang them yesterday and got some guy with real attitude
I have had the 4 spots, 5 bars and 3G throughout all this.
Suddenly he says, there is too much traffic and too many masts out. I have had this conversation with the previous guys who assured me there were plenty of masts around.
This new guy says there are many out and they might be fixed in 'the next three months' and things should improve.
I scarcely use the telephone. I'm all about data, the internet, yahoo messenger and uploading photos to Facebook.

sometimes they connect, more often they don't,

Is there anyone out there in West London who can suggest who DOES have good coverage.

Would it be better if I tagged phone onto home wifi. I haven't tried that yet.

Should I ask Orange for a rebate? I have been a loyal customer for many years. When I said to this chap that I am paying a lot of money for a service I am not getting, he was very patronising and dismissive. I'm certainly going to report him.

In the meantime, can I leave the contract? This chap was saying they will not release me. That can't be right surely?

I would rather stay where I am if they can get it working but it is causing problems between me and my man who is in New Mexico.

All suggestions gratefully received.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
rentawitch

Default Re: problems with Orange in West London - advice needed

Well it's not fixed yet but this, according to the chaps at Orange in Plymouth is a problem they have not discovered before.
Apparently RIM send permissions... shrugs to my phone via various masts depending where I am.
I went to Wales in November. And a mirror image of my web presence is still attached to a station in Wales!
So when RIM sends the permissions, it might send them to me in London or the mirror me in Wales. Hence although I am logged onto a 3G mast in London - that mast is operational and the traffic is at a reasonable level. I cannot connect - randomly - to the internet, or get messenger etc.

The way to disconnect me in Wales was for me to totally switch off overnight, pull the battery, get my phone off the web altogether.

I did that and it appears not to have made any difference. The team I am dealing with at Orange are going to check and see if I am 'still' in Wales as well as London when they get on duty this pm.
As a secondary string, they are sending me out a different sim card. Same phone number but difference sim no. So if getting off the web has not worked which it appears not to have done, then a new Sim should as I will appear to be someone completely different.

I am very impressed with the way the Orange team have gone about this.
I thought I would post in case this weird situation happens to anyone else.
Wish me luck guys!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
rentawitch

My problem was fixed!

By detaching myself from the web (the phone) overnight, the mirror profile me in Wales disappeared and now the phone is properly responsive and staying attached to messenger and the browser is working. No more 'error 65' or 'internal server error'
Old 03-24-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
SiJ2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Orange UK

That's good... Orange is generally good, although the quality of the 3G signal in Central London is flaky at best... I think they have a lot of work to do after the integration of T-Mobile... All was fine before that!!
Closed Thread