Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default UMA problems

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone been having trouble using wifi/uma on non-BB devices?? I have seen several threads on other sites regarding certain brands of phones not being consistent/stable with their wifi connections.

I have two BB curves working great on my network, so I recommended the wifi/uma service to my parents. They purchased 3 Nokia 6301 phones, which had good reviews on other sites...and they are really nice phones btw. Their only flaw is that they drop the wifi/uma connection very quickly and then will only reconnect after a reboot of the phone...

I have read on other forum sites that the problems only started with nokias on tmo in early November and that they (tmo/nokia) are working to fix their issues. A call in to TMO tech support got me nowhere...the tech wasn't aware of any ongoing issues with Nokias, but told me that if I wanted reliable wifi/uma coverage that I should go with a BB since they are the only phones they sell that are reliable on their uma/wifi service. Great info...

Is anyone else having any trouble with nokia's or samsungs on tmobile using wifi/uma???
Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Why can't you go with blackberry? 8220 Pearls are very affordable and look like common flip phone, if your parents are not interested in blackberry functionality.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
Why can't you go with blackberry? 8220 Pearls are very affordable and look like common flip phone, if your parents are not interested in blackberry functionality.
It's not that they don't want the BBs, they just don't need them. Plus to get the discounts you have to have the data plans for at least 6 months, and if you don't take them, the phones are more than $100 per phone, they are getting three phones, and don't want to spend that much on BBs for just using them as phones only. They don't like flip phones, so I was looking into 8120s for them.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:54 AM   #4
Keebler
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

I'm not sure what the TC rep told you, but it is wrong. Yes the BB is a very reliable UMA device there many other reliable UMA devices as well
Old 01-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
JohnInGa

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Default Nokia Phones Failing UMA On TMobile

Nokia phones stopped working properly in November on the TMobile UMA network. It's hard to believe, but even though TMobile is well aware of the problem, they are continuing to sell Nokia phones as UMA capable for their Hotspot at home service. Before you get a Nokia phone for UMA use (or even choose to do business with TMobile), do a search on Google for Nokia's forum entitled "UMA on 6086 within the T-Mobile USA Network" (I'd post the link, this forum won't let me.)
Old 01-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInGa View Post
Nokia phones stopped working properly in November on the TMobile UMA network. It's hard to believe, but even though TMobile is well aware of the problem, they are continuing to sell Nokia phones as UMA capable for their Hotspot at home service. Before you get a Nokia phone for UMA use (or even choose to do business with TMobile), do a search on Google for Nokia's forum entitled "UMA on 6086 within the T-Mobile USA Network" (I'd post the link, this forum won't let me.)
Searching from the forum.nokia.com website doesn't give the info, but a Google search did. It's in the European discussion forum for some reason.
Closed Thread