Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
UKFan643

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Pre-Purchase Questions...

Please Login to Remove!

I am finally in my window for a new phone, and i am so excited to finally get rid of my Q. I am looking at either the Treo 700WX, or the BB 8703, or maybe the soon to be released 8830 on Verizon. I have some reservations about going with a phone without a camera, but I honestly do not use it that much, and so it's not that big of a deal. I do have a few questions about BB's for now, with many more to come I am sure.

1) I'm wondering if there is a native application or a 3rd party app that will allow me to do photo calling. I don't know if BB's come standard with this or not. Basically, I want a picture of the person calling to come up when they call, and I would like to scroll through pictures when making a call. If anyone has any experience with it, I use PhotoContacts Pro on my Q, so I would be looking for a comparable application.

2) I see in its list of features, the BB does MMS messages. Does this mean people can send me picture messages, and I can send them if I get them off an e-mail and want to message them to someone? Also, I see that EMS is not listed. Does this mean there is no way to send or receive messages longer than 160 characters, or will it just break them into multiple messages like my Q does right now. For example, if someone sends me a message over the 160 character limit, I just get 2 or 3 messages. Will that continue on BB service?

3) I'm wondering how I can view and edit excel and word files on the BB. Is there any way?

I guess that's all for now, but I am sure I will have many more in the future. I am doing a lot of searching on questions, and many have been answered, but these have not. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

1-BB 8100, 8800, and 8700 with updated OS software will do photo caller ID. Not by scrolling through pictures though.
2-Yes to MMS. Yes to SMS, 160 characters normally, I don't know what it is with Verizon. Wait, Check with Verizon to make sure they allow MMS, some carriers do not.
However, you have true email... and PIN Messaging.
3-Yes, not natively on the BB. You'll need eOffice for edit XLS files. Others can simply view--Repligo or BeamBerry.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Ditto with what JS said......

You will need a data plan for MMS and email...

Plus..... eOffice cost mucho $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 04-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
UKFan643

Model: none
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
1-BB 8100, 8800, and 8700 with updated OS software will do photo caller ID. Not by scrolling through pictures though.
2-Yes to MMS. Yes to SMS, 160 characters normally, I don't know what it is with Verizon. Wait, Check with Verizon to make sure they allow MMS, some carriers do not.
However, you have true email... and PIN Messaging.
3-Yes, not natively on the BB. You'll need eOffice for edit XLS files. Others can simply view--Repligo or BeamBerry.
I know Verizon allows MMS. I'm guessing that if my network now allows messages that are longer than 160 chars, but splits them into multiple messages, it would work the same on the BB? Also, is there a way to do send messages through e-mail? Like to someone who does not have a BB? that will allow me to get around the 160 requirement. And finally, I know absolutely nothing about PIN Messaging. I would assume that is only BB to BB?
Closed Thread