BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
DazDaKing

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default So my BB is doing the strangest stuff since getting wet!

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys,

For the record I have a 9700 Bold. I am a master at getting phones wet, I never ever lose one or break one but I always get them wet somehow! Anyway, my latest blunder is accidentally knocking my BB into the sink as I was washing my face (don't ask lol) and furthermore the back cover came OFF as this happened getting the phone super wet literally.

Knowing this is not a situation to mess about with I instantly got my phone, mem card and battery and left it in a container of rice for about a week (I hate having phones replaced and wasn't even sure I would be viable for repair). Now throughout this week my phones gone through a few stages:

1) It wouldnt turn on at all
2) It would turn on but my trackpad wouldn't work, normal buttons would but required several presses to register
3) Turns on but no buttons or the trackpad would work

Eventually, after a week and a half I've figured it won't dry much more, so heres the current situation. Not a single button or the trackpad works... UNLESS I press and hold the BB menu button while pressing the other button I want to work LOL! The BB menu button itself doesn't work unless pressed while I'm holding the Return button! This is so ridiculous it's unbelievable, but it gives me hope that the circuit is still working.

I'm not a wiz with BB's but I'm quite adept with electronics and wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty to fix the circuit, but before I open it and start f*cking about with it I'm wondering, does anyone know what would cause the normal buttons to only work when my BB menu button is held? I'm assuming this is completing the circuit in such a way that allows the other buttons to register, and although it returns my phones functionality, it's not exactly an ideal situation.

Anyone have any experience with this, or advice?
Very much appreciated.

Daz

Last edited by DazDaKing; 12-05-2012 at 03:06 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: So my BB is doing the strangest stuff since getting wet!

First, cell phones and water do not like each other.

Second, cut your losses, toss the device and get a replacement.

You got it very wet and no doubt damaged a lot of the electronics beyond repair. You problems are typical of water damage. Not much you can do other than replace it.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
DazDaKing

Dude, obviously I know water and cell phones don't mix, thats basic knowledge for people who don't even know about electric currents, circuits, conductivity, e.t.c.

However, honestly I don't think it is damaged beyond repair. I have damaged phones beyond repair before with water, and that means NO BUTTON WORKS, or any button that does work does not run the function its meant to (e.g pressing v gives you f). But in this case EVERY button works FINE just provided that the menu button is held. I mean, it's awkward as hell but it definitely means the circuit isn't damaged beyond repair, that's an overstatement.

I'm due an upgrade very very soon so I'd rather not go for the hassle of getting a replacement. Am I even eligible for replacement? Surely I'll need insurance against liquid damage to get a replacement? And under those circumstances I'm not sure I'll receive a temporary replacement phone, which I would need right now for my last week of uni (I'm also quite broke atm so buying a temp phone isn't much good either).

Cheers anyway
Old 12-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Insurance generally doesn't cover water damage.
It is damaged beyond repair.
Cut your losses and get a new one.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

It's up to your carrier whether or not you are eligible for a replacement. Your device is damaged and not going to fix itself at this point. Maybe you could convince your carrier to let you have an early upgrade. Barring that, you are out of luck.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
DazDaKing

Damn, well I was hoping to fix the circuitry myself but it seems no one has hope in that working. I guess I'll just ask for an upgrade, I'm fairly sure it's within the next couple weeks. I'd rather just keep this phone now, we've had our ups and downs and I'd like to try to fix the circuitry at another time. I'm almost certain there's an ingenious method to fix it from within, and I'm sure that sounds stupid as hell to you guys (why not just get a replacement) but I am really the type of guy that likes doing/fixing/making things himself.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazDaKing View Post
Damn, well I was hoping to fix the circuitry myself but it seems no one has hope in that working. I guess I'll just ask for an upgrade, I'm fairly sure it's within the next couple weeks. I'd rather just keep this phone now, we've had our ups and downs and I'd like to try to fix the circuitry at another time. I'm almost certain there's an ingenious method to fix it from within, and I'm sure that sounds stupid as hell to you guys (why not just get a replacement) but I am really the type of guy that likes doing/fixing/making things himself.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.
I promise you, as a tech guy, you can't fix it yourself. There are too many little bits in mobile phones.