Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
lgkpkt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Red face to construct...

Please Login to Remove!

So I just got a bb8830 and, ah, I'm noticing a few things.

First off I guess I have been spoiled by owning a Mac for the past seven years. I seem to be used to everything working right away, pretty much all the time. Development is something I seem to have taken for granted since, like, 2001.

Now I've got my Mac and a shiny new Blackberry, and all of a sudden:

What happened to software development?!?

Here's a selection of software that should have already happened. And by 'should have' I am saying that these things are just so useful that I am blown away by the fact that they don't exist /already/. I'm the last guy in the world to take developers for granted, I spend enough time working in front of a computer that my damn eyes turn red and can't focus.

Anyhow, how about the following:

~Fully supported and //streamlined// OS updates via RIM's software for both OS X or Windows. (?!) These updates should work perfectly pretty much all the time. It should work by itself. It should not be /dangerous/ to upgrade your device. That's absurd.

~One media player like VLC that plays all the relevant formats, audio/video streaming or saved content.

~Last.fm station streaming and scrobbling client. Don't need a five billion terrabyte ipod if you can stream all the music in creation directly to your device!

Basically every time I see solutions that involve changing server-side content I'm not with it. It's gotta happen client-side. Tinytube? Are ya kidding? Full Youtube, asap. I could care less about watching videos of cats flushing toilets but the simple fact is that there is a massive music library on youtube and we should all be able to make playlists, stream entire albums worth of music, and have a client that does it well enough to disable the video playing as it's pumping out the audio so it even saves battery power on our devices.

I can barely bring myself to care about the VZW/GPS thing when I think about the bigger picture like this.

and on and on and on....

Meanwhile, have y'all seen the crap that gets thrown up on free bb software pages, shopping lists with colorful icons for tomatoes and lettuce.... but no streaming software!?

If I keep going I'm gonna start to feel like Ignatius J. Reilly :p

Best!

lgkpkt
Closed Thread