Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Ominx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW
Default VZW 8130 Bluetooth OBEX Working - With Video Proof

Please Login to Remove!

I just noticed last night that the 8130 from Verizon does indeed support Bluetooth OBEX. Has anyone else noticed this? If you look on the VZW website, it clearly states "It does not support object exchange (OBEX) profiles." So clearly I was surprised to see it works...at least on my Mac running OS X 10.5

I have been transfering ringtones, songs and pictures with ease...alot easier than using a card reader IMHO.

Just thought I would share...hope a future update doesn't ruin the fun.

Last edited by Ominx; 11-27-2007 at 10:40 PM..
Old 11-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
obeythelaw

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

i've tried on leopard and it tells me "this device does not have the necessary services." are you using the built in bluetooth file exchange?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Ominx

Yes I am using the built in bluetooth file exchange in Leopard. One thing to note is that you must initiate the transfer from the Pearl itself. You can not browse the phone using the bluetooth file browser in OS X. Otherwise, OBEX is fully functional...sending and receiving.

I made two short video clips showing it in action...cause I feel there may be some people in doubt out there.

Sending: YouTube - BlackBerry 8130 OBEX - Sending

Receiving: YouTube - BlackBerry 8130 OBEX - Receiving

Last edited by Ominx; 11-27-2007 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Edited Links
Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
obeythelaw

thanks for the youtubes. still can't get it to work on mine. i've got it paired with the mac. but when i try sending a picture, for example, it says failed to find service.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Ominx

Hmm...that's odd. Check the device properties for your Mac on the BlackBerry and see what is listed there. You should see something similar to OBEX File Exchange. If not, I would try removing the device (Mac) and then readding it. By the way, what Mac system are you using? I am wondering if there may be an issue with older Macs?

Has anyone else tested OBEX transfers on either a Mac or PC?

I'm actually shocked more people aren't interested in this. I guess it's one of those things people clamor for if they don't have it, yet ignore it if they do. It's either that, or I am the only one that has been able to get it to work.

Let me know...I'm curious.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Mark_Venture

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominx View Post
Yes I am using the built in bluetooth file exchange in Leopard. One thing to note is that you must initiate the transfer from the Pearl itself. You can not browse the phone using the bluetooth file browser in OS X. Otherwise, OBEX is fully functional...sending and receiving.

I made two short video clips showing it in action...cause I feel there may be some people in doubt out there.

Sending: YouTube - BlackBerry 8130 OBEX - Sending

Receiving: YouTube - BlackBerry 8130 OBEX - Receiving
That video shows using Object Push Profile (OPP)...

For media files, the Pearl and Curve support OPP but not OBEX FTP. (go into Media... navigate and highlight the picture or ring tone... press the menu.. and select "Send via Bluetooth"... or go into Media, pictures.. press the menu button, and select Receive via Bluetooth)

And I can use OPP between my T-Mobile Curve (8320) or my VZW Pearl (8130) and my PC to transfer files in either direction. But I forget if I tried OPP between the two blackberries..

-> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 11-28-2007 at 02:43 PM..
Old 11-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
Ominx

I applogize then if my post is misleading. I was unaware of the technical differences between OPP and OBEX.

The reason I refered to this action as OBEX is because on my 8130 under device properties, it lists "OBEX" as an available service.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Sorry...not sure I get it. What is the main difference between OBEX FTP and OPP, if both allow you to transfer files in both directions?

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
Doughdaddy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: thumb or push?

I go to Bluetooth then options in the menu and all I get for services is:
Headset
Handsfree
Desktop Connectivity
Wireless Bypass
Dial-Up Networking
Audio Source
A/V Remote Control Tag

Where do you see OBEX as a choice?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
obeythelaw

still not working for me. i'm on a G4 mac mini.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
Ominx

I see the OBEX profile listed under the services for my iMac. I understand that this might simply mean the computer supports OBEX, but if that's the case, why does it only list three services shown in the picture below? Clearly the iMac supports more profiles than those listed, so I assumed it meant those were the profiles both the 8130 and iMac shared.

Either way, transferring files in both directions over bluetooth works, so I'm happy...whatever it's called.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

So no one can describe the difference between OBEX FTP and OPP, in terms of the features/functions they offer?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
Ominx

Well, according to Wikipedia, OBEX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, the Object Push Profile (OPP) is phone to phone transfers, while the File Transfer Profile is phone to PC transfers.

From what I can gather, OBEX is a general term used to describe the "protocol that facilitates the exchange of binary objects between devices."

Having said that, I now think my original classification of OBEX is accurate for the 8130 as I not only can transfer phone to phone, but also phone to PC and vice versa.

Confused enough?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks...that's what was confusing me in part. Hearing that transfer from phone to PC and vice-versa both worked, made me wonder what is missing?

One question...can you open a folder view on the phone from the PC or on the PC from the phone? My e815 has OBEX enabled, and I can view a folder structure on the phone from the PC...thinking that may be the difference?

When moving files between the two devices are you picking a file or files on the source and then sending them to the target, or are you able to browse one device from the other?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #15
Ominx

obeythelaw, make sure you have bluetooth sharing turned on in system preferences.
System Preferences --> Sharing --> Bluetooth Sharing
Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 PM   #16
obeythelaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominx View Post
obeythelaw, make sure you have bluetooth sharing turned on in system preferences.
System Preferences --> Sharing --> Bluetooth Sharing
thank you! that was the problem. is working now!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #17
Xyxyll
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Just one more checking in to verify that the 8130 can transfer photos to a PC (using XP) via Bluetooth. I haven't tried anything else, but yep, transfer works fine.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #18
Mark_Venture

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
So no one can describe the difference between OBEX FTP and OPP, in terms of the features/functions they offer?
sorry, I'm not on 24x7... but here is what I normally post when asked in the Verizon phone sections over on howardforums.com... Hope this helps....

-----------------------------------------------------------
OPP = Object Push Profile. Its a subset of the OBject EXchange protocol, so it is sometimes refered to as OBEX OPP.

FTP = File Transfer Profile. It too is a subset of the OBject EXchange protocol, so its often refered to as OBEX FTP, and many many times just OBEX... Often, OBEX FTP is what people mean when they only say OBEX....

FTP has two parts... client and server...

You can use your OBEX FTP Client (PC, some PDA's) to obtain a file and folder listing on the server (in this case Cell phone), and "download" the file from the Server to the Client. Or "upload" a file from the Client to the Server. When transfering this way, you can specify the TARGET folder for the file transfer (i.e. what folder location the transferred file ends up in).

In FTP, the Client initiates the transfer.

When doing OPP, you select a file on the sending device (your phone), then pick your target deivce (other phone, PC, PDA, etc)... and it transfers... The receiving device decides where to put it... i.e. if the reciving device see its a JPG file, it will end up in pictures...

In OPP, the sending device initiates the transfer, and can NOT see the files/folders on the receiving device.

Of course... in either case... both devices must "allow" the connection and transfer.
---------------------------------------------------

When it comes to Blackberries, its pretty standard.. they do not have OBEX FTP. Those with the Media App (like Pearl and Curve) can do OPP of pictures and such.

When it comes to Verizon's Cell Phones (that is non-PDA/Non-SMart)... what they support can/will vary. Typically Verizon only included Headset/Handsfree profiles. On Some Moto's, you could HACK to enable OBEX FTP Server. Not too long ago, Verizon started adding OPP for vCard only to some of their cell phones... They also added OBEX FTP Server for Pictures/Sounds/Videos on certain models. More recent models, like the Moto V9M and Maxx VE have OPP for pictures and sounds too.

-> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 11-30-2007 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Venus/Voyager don't have OPP for pictures& sounds... removed that statement.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #19
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks, Mark! That's very clear! I googled and searched forums on this and didn't find any write-up as clear as yours above...appreciate it.
Closed Thread