Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
_wb_

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tim
Default Push update to app

Please Login to Remove!

I would like to know if there is a way to push an update to a custom BlackBerry application without user input or knowledge that the app was being upgraded (updated).

Last edited by _wb_; 12-03-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Old 12-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Push update to app

There are methods but you need to be a BES system. Is this app public? then why not send an email telling users to upgrade.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

You need to check the Developer section.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
_wb_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
You need to check the Developer section.
Can you provide me a link since I haven't found anything related?

@tsac: No, it is specific app for a company. We don't use BES. We don't want to bother, for example, 100k users with email or sms. We need it to be able to push changes to the app but I don't have the BB knowledge or experience on how to do this or where this info is available.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

To answer your original question, only if the app is very simple. There is a module management API that will allow you to do the things that need to happen for an application to be updated but:
1) An application can't update itself, so you would need the app, and an app to update the app.
2) If any classes defined in a module are instantiated at the time the module is replaced, the replacement won't happen until a reboot. In practical terms this means that if the app has been running recently, uses persitent or runtime stores it will need a reboot.
3) If a module needs permissions not granted by default, the replacement will need those permissions approved again. So unless, as tsac says you're on a BES, the user will be prompted for application permissions.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
_wb_

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
To answer your original question, only if the app is very simple. There is a module management API that will allow you to do the things that need to happen for an application to be updated but:
1) An application can't update itself, so you would need the app, and an app to update the app.
2) If any classes defined in a module are instantiated at the time the module is replaced, the replacement won't happen until a reboot. In practical terms this means that if the app has been running recently, uses persitent or runtime stores it will need a reboot.
3) If a module needs permissions not granted by default, the replacement will need those permissions approved again. So unless, as tsac says you're on a BES, the user will be prompted for application permissions.
Can I somehow notify the VVM app of a new update, and have it download the upgrade on the background without any user input, and once the download is finished then pop up a message for the client to update it?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

I don't know what you mean by VVM app, but yes you could. There are, however, many methods of doing this depending on what devices you want to support, none of them will be simple to implement.

RIM provides two good solutions to this problem: BES software configuration for corporate customers; App World for consumers. Each of these will do what you ask, though not exactly in the manner you ask. If you want to roll your own solution you should learn how module management and OTA installation using the browser work.