Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Ruffian829
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Question How Memory Works??

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a bit confused about how memory on the blackberry, pearl specifically, is used- I went from 8,000,000 + bytes (I know this is not a lot / not enough) to 2,000,000 bytes overnight without receiving any text messages, calls, facebook messages, emails, etc.
What, exactly, is using up the memory, or is it just disappearing??
I did a battery pull this AM and it went up to 13,000,000 and now this afternoon after minimal use (ive been at work) it went down to 9,000,000

This is a brand new phone but I've had the pearl for a year now- I had to replace my old one under warranty because it just stopped working (They say something was wrong with the charger port) - the old one NEVER had memory problems or leaks, I maybe did a battery pull once every two months! but never because of memory leaks. I was using comparable programs (I had far more on the old phone), so why is this phone leaking memory? is it just a bad phone? are some just better than others?? I just don't get it!! argh.

One last question- Blackberry App Store- how much memory does this application take up?? Will it be a considerable amount if I delete it??

THANKS!!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

For memory leak problems check:
- what programs you have running in the background. I understand some programs like viigo that are always running will lead to greater memory leaks.

- OS version. Try upgrading to a more recent OS.

- Doubt BlackBerry Store app should take up to much space. It's not like all the programs are downloaded to your phone. It just serves as a conduit to the App store.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I don't remember for sure but it seems like the app world download was over half a Mb -- pretty large.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
Ruffian829
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Would PocketInformant be running in the background at all? I'm thinking no because it is solely a calendar / planner type program...
I have a weather app but I've had it set to update manually not automatically, and I'd guess facebook runs in the background... but these are all apps I had on my previous phone..
Old 06-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Never used PocketInformant so I dont know. But if you close/exit out of the program, and then check to see (ALT+ESCAPE) if its running in the background. If it is, it might contribute memory leaks, though I don't imagine it would be very much.
Closed Thread