Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
pbsaz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8801
Carrier: Cingular
Default Post BES conversion questions.

Please Login to Remove!

Tonight my company is launching a BES. I've been using BIS and manually synchronizing my 8700c with my office, home and assitant's computers. I know that this will no longer be necessary (or possible) with respect to my office and assistant's (shared access) computer but I would like to know if I will still be able to manually synch with my home computer which is not part of our network. I'd like to have this as backup and quite frankly without this my information is totally controlled by my company. For example, if I leave they have the abililty to wipe out all of my contacts and calendar. The email is clearly theirs.

Second question, is whether I will be able to launch an internet browser and not go through my company's network. For example, we have lots of site, like a sports site, that cannot be accessed through our network. I'd like to know that for firm business I can use one browser and for personal use I can use a second browser that goes through Cingular's data plan.

Thanks for your responses
Old 10-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
dropscience
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

anything synched wirelessly will not be able to be backed up locally on DTM 4.2. the options will be greyed out in backup/restore -> advanced. i think older versions of DTM lets you back it up but you won't be able to place it back on the handhelds since it's wirelessly synched (true) on your unit.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

You can still sync manually at home, but you have to go into the options for Messages, Calendar, Address Book, Task, and MemoPad and set Wireless Sync to No. When you done you have to reenable everything.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: AT&T

Altho my compay restricts web access sourced from our intranet, I have not had any restrictions on web access from my blackberry. I don't know if a more restrictive policy setting would chnage this.

I do know that altho I can access my personal mail (read) on my blackberry, I cannot SEND mail using my personal email address(es).. all mail sent from the BB is using my company id.

In addition, some BES Policy setting also messes up READING selected email from my personal accounts.. Attachments are NOT viewable (pdf, xls, doc, and JPG for sure).. and long text documents (>32k in length). These both produce a 'More request cannot be completed. Service book information cannot be found' error popup.. If you look at the content of these messages and scroll to the very first line, "Received Using: Unknown". This 'Unknown' causes the 'More' request to fail.

Sam
Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsaz
Second question, is whether I will be able to launch an internet browser and not go through my company's network.
Yes -- as long as there's not an IT policy in place restriciting this.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:13 PM   #6
pbsaz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8801
Carrier: Cingular
Default Thanks

Thanks for your help. First day under the new system and things are working well. The firm decided not to run the browser through the BES so that's not an issue.
Closed Thread