View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #38
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

THANK YOU.

I used this thread as the basis for my FIX. I had initially installed the beta .77 for the 8830 back in August but my BB kept locking up. I could perform one or two things and it would lock. If I let it go to hibernate, it would light up when I pressed a button but it would be locked. Since I was leaving on a trip, I reverted back to the 4.2.....

Reading about everyone's success with the BELL official 4.5, I finally decided to do it. Well, more of the same - lockups. I tried a second install. No better. Went back to 4.2 and all was well.

I figured it was either a bad theme under 4.5 or one of the many apps I had installed blowing the 8830 with 4.5 to pieces.

Finally, I decided to remove the sim card and the 8gig Media Card. No lockups. Since each time I plugged in the BB, VistaHomePre said the card needed scanning, I figured maybe it was bad. So I allowed the interminable scan and it fixed the card but LOCKUP. I finally backed up the card and formatted the darn thing the slow way and reinstalled all of my music/video/etc. LOCKUP!!!

I guess I had recalled this thread. Read it again (THANKS AGAIN). I went after those DARN DAT files. I do have my music in a series of subfolders under Music by composer. I did leave that arrangement only removing the DAT files. Plugged the card in with fingers crossed holding scads of my pulled out hair.... The BB started scanning the music and I went to bed. This morning it was NOT locked up and was functioning - first time in a full day. The music appeared to be in order from some random plays. It has functioned all day.

Of course, I did lose all of my third party apps and their various setting and/or serial numbers and have been slowly recovering but also deciding I did not use ''this or that" anyway.

Long story short - it appears to be working .... and now maybe I will reinstall the sim card and reinstall the battery cover (which has been removed for more than 24 hours and even place it back in its Otterbox!

THANKS
Offline   Reply With Quote