View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
sptddog

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Newbie questions..BIS/BES, themes, shortcut questions...

Please Login to Remove!

I’m a very new BB user and I have a few questions I’m hoping folks here can help with. I did searches on them, but didn’t find the answers clearly enough for my newbie head.

The details: Verizon Pearl, with the 29.99 (assuming BIS) Blackberry plan.

Now for the questions:
1) I work for a large corporation and I’m hoping to be able to use their BES to get my work email, etc(I’ve confirmed they allow personal devices, but I don’t know the details yet – I assume they’ll incorporate our standard IT policies which is fine – though I may lose the ability to use Opera Mini then…). If my company ‘hosts’ me on their BES, will I have to update my Verizon plan to the 44.99 BES plan? Or, is the point of hosting by my company on their BES sufficient to maintain my BIS plan with Verizon?

2) If the BES means changing my plan, would using OWA access to my corporate account mean I could stay with the BIS plan? I know we can use OWA for web access via desktops/laptops, including personal computing devices, so I assume we could use it via BB too.

3) Can someone explain Themes and why I’d need them? I understand they change the way things ‘look’ but I use my kids picture as wallpaper anyhow, so what else do they offer me?

4) When a BB is ‘wiped’ does it erase contacts etc as well, or just defaults it back to a factory state w/out deleting contacts?

5) Is there a shortcut key for ‘sending’ SMS messages other than hitting the trackball twice to send? I try to avoid using the trackball, since I hear it doesn't hold up.

6) Isn’t suretype just predictive text? It’s not the predictive text that’s hard to use (very similar in concept to T9) it’s the location of the KEYS/LETTERS that’s harder than hockey sticks!!

7) Does Verizon offer any ringtones I can buy and download? I don’t have the time or energy to import songs into Itunes again, convert them, find a site to upload and make me a tone, only to download it to the phone. I just want to pay for some.

That’s my start….I'm sure I'll have more.
Offline   Reply With Quote