View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #14
dualsub2006
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: Head
Carrier: Verizon

You will come across some push back on some of these points, so I am going to add some comments that people that either have or have seen an iPhone or an iPod Touch will come back at you with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanluisperu View Post
-Blackberry has had GPS for years and the iPhone still doesn't offer turn-by-turn directions which, again, has been in the Blackberry for years.
So what. I have GPS in my car. When I am out of town the cabbie knows where I am going. That screen is too small to use as anything more than an emergency GPS device.

Quote:
-Blackberry has a built in "To Do List/Task Manager" application that syncs with Exchange. iPhone does not.
No big deal at all. Task lists are over rated (my real opinion on this) anyway. I use Jott to record voice notes. They send me a highly accurate transcription of the note. Jott has a lot of users and more come on every day. They aren't the only player in the quicky voice note game.

Quote:
-Battery life is much better on pretty much any Blackberry and that is of the utmost importance for a business user

-Blackberry's come with REMOVABLE BATTERIES. Most business people I know carry around a spare.
Before I gave it to my daughter I ran my iPhone for several weeks. Battery life was no issue for me at all. It lasted longer under heavy use, than my current Pearl. It was really no contest.

Now a spare battery is a nice advantage, but wall warts are about $20 and anyone that actually WANTS an iPhone is willing to toss one in their computer bag.

Quote:
-Blackberry supports MMS (which I would assume is of almost no use to business users but still deserves a mention)

-Blackberry's support Video recording

-Almost all Blackberry's have better cameras (same 2 MP but with 5x Zoom)
None of these points are going to matter much to anyone in a business setting. MMS and video recording are nice in a pinch but not a feature on anyone's must have list in business.

As camera's go, that 5x zoom is totally useless. If I use the zoom on my BB at all the image becomes so low resolution and pixelated that you can actually see how bad the image looks on my Pearl screen. At full zoom on both devices this is a toss up and not something that you would want to use as an advantage for the BB.

Quote:
-Almost all Blackberry's come with MicroSD slots
This is not a fight that you will want to get in to. An iPhone wanter will say, "yes, it does have an SD slot but it needs it. My iPhone has 8 (16) GB of space. Even with an SD a BB is limited to 4GB.

This is actually important to a lot of people because I can email myself Office files and actually use my iPod Touch to view them. The screen is large enough that in a pinch I can use it to make a presentation to a client.

It is also much better for showing image galleries (I am in the picture business so this one is very key for me) and video clips.

Storage space is one that I might let lie.

Quote:
-Most Blackberry users use their phone for e-mail 95% of the time and the iPhone's soft keyboard is vastly inferior to every Blackberry I've ever seen.
This one, IMHO, is just YOUR opinion and one that a lot of people will take issue with. I have had both and currently have an iPod Touch. I have no issues at all using the keyboard on the Touch. Do I pen long emails with it? Not unless I have to, but the exact same can be said for my BB as well. I can type faster on the Touch than I can the Pearl.

As far as the email use itself goes, the iPhone BLOWS any BB out of the water. Inline image viewing, HTML links formed properly, real Office file viewing. I HATE using my BB for email and if I am at one of my Wi-Fi routers I use the Touch for email because it is so much nicer to read and respond to email on.

Wanters will also bring up the browser. Again, this isn't a contest at all. At all. The iPhone destroys the BB in this area. Not as huge a deal for business use, but I would say that more people would be inclined to want the iPhone browser over the BB GPS.

The biggest reason IMHO to push back on the iPhone is that it is limited to AT&T's very sparse network. Had I been able to use email, browser and the phone in the majority of places that I go I would have kept mine. Where I am, Verizon gets me service almost everywhere that I go where as AT&T is NOT in almost every place that I go.

If AT&T coverage is weak in your area I would bring it up.
Offline   Reply With Quote