View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
johnnyrichter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
PIN: <Status<Options
Carrier: Verizon
Default Using 3g/CDMA 8330 on wifi only, no service?

Please Login to Remove!

I dug up my old 8330 and was wondering how usable it would be on wifi only with absolutely no service.

Reason I ask is because my GF is currently in Moscow and will be there for at least 6 months. She has a BB 9780 on a russian network and right now the only ways we have to talk are if we call/text each other which costs a ton of money, or we skype which requires her to borrow a laptop or android device from someone else. My main device is a Galaxy S1 so while I have apps available to me, those same apps aren't available to her on her 9780. I came up with the idea of using our BBs with something like BBM or similar app but my BB has to be able to do this on wifi only.

Is this possible? If I have to mod the phone or anything that's not a problem at all.

I did some googling and I've seen stuff mentioned about needing service books to use BBM on wifi without a data plan, and also something about someone putting "RIM engineering BIOS" on their device to do what I'm trying to do. Figured I'd come back to my old BB hangout and see what advice you all have.

Last edited by johnnyrichter; 01-07-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote