Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mac View Post
Stinsonddog:

You say you recommend Crypt and gove it a slight edge, but in your review you mention the following features that DataVault has and that Crypt is missing:
  1. DataVault is slightly faster on the BB
  2. DataVault also has the better desktop right now
  3. DataVault has a more comprehensive user guide
  4. Cryptmagic doesn't make you enter your password when you sync; DataVault does make you enter the password
  5. Cryptmagic offers only a Tree View & doesn't offer a List View for the desktop. DataVault provides a Tree View and List View on the desktop, and you can easily switch between the views with button on the top.
  6. DataVault comes with 20 pre-defined templates, and it’s a breeze to add more as you like. This allows a little more flexibility in that for each type in a category you can have different templates, whereas in Cryptmagic you would be creating an additional template.
  7. I wish Cryptmagic would allow docking of its search bar. I often find it not where I want it.
  8. Cryptmagic has been my workhorse for about a year now. Why? - Tree view search on the BB takes me to the exact record and shows me the fields immediately. This has been my number one reason for using it. DataVault on the other hand has not only caught up with them, but seems to have passed them. Why? They give you options, and generally options means personal preferences.
  9. DataVault also has the better desktop right now. DataVault has a more comprehensive user guide also that describes the features of the program. The Cryptmagic guide is more about installing and export/import.
All comments above were copied and pasted directly from your review.

I realize I have only pulled selected comments from your review, but in all honesty, this is about what I see there. DataVault looks like the better program according to your review, not to mention it costs $5 less than Crypt.

Other than a subjective "Because I like it", or familiarity and comfort level, are there other reasons that your review appears to show DataVault as the more feature-laden application with the more secure methods requiring password to sync yet Crypt is your recommended application?

Thanks.

Jim
They all change slightly over time. There are a few quirks in DV on the BB right now. I use it on the BB the most but often input from the Desktop. The issue with DV on the BB is that I can't copy to clipboard from the menu on DV whereas I can on Crypt so I am using that more right now. They are both good.