Old 11-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #262
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2218
ok - another update. I was fine today up until the afternoon, when the dreaded data connection refused came back. I'm beginning to think that this occurs when the blackberry switches to another tower, and that the EVDO PRL is not playing nicely with the updated software.

I spent about 2 hours on the phone with B2B Data support, and after removing all the features, then adding them all back on about 3 times, doing *22899, HRT - register, restarts, etc etc. I still had the problem. Got escalated up to tier 2, and has not reappeared since. The tier 2 rep also mentioned he suspected it might be a RIM software bug in 4.0.2 cuz he had several other calls on this. I think the problem might come back tomorrow when I travel into work, but I'm not sure.

I've noticed a new feature on my account:

IP UNRESTRICTED under DATA - under there, I also have Unlimited Data Usage, and NATIONALACCESS ROAM

under expressnetwork, I have EVDO ALLOWANCE and NATIONALACCESS ROAM again

Kontiki - since you seem to have absolutely no problems whatsoever, do you mind if I ask you if you travel a lot, especially out of areas that DO NOT have EVDO service? That might be the thing here. When I'm in Manhattan, I don't have any problems, and I know I'm in an established EVDO area, but its when I'm in a fringe area or a place that doesn't have EVDO is when the problems are showing up
I travel all over the state of NJ. In and out of EVDO.. I live in the Montclair area there is EVDO here, I work in Flanders there is no EVDO there or at best it is fringe. When I am home it shows as 1XEV, when I am at work it shows as 1X or 1XEV occassionaly, but though it switches I never get the dreaded data connection refused. I have only gotten that once in 6 months and it was way before EVDO and it is in an area that all cellulars have trouble, I have confirmed same issues with att, cingular, nextel, sprint, verizon.

With all due respect to Mark and his FAQ and the other people that have posted this was my experience. I got this done the very first night it was available. I had to escalate two tiers of support to get someone who knew what was going on but that aside. All I did was follow the suggestions off the very first post/ I called and asked for them to turn on Broadband Access Connect. I gave them no code at all, and I have never had to do the ##000000 and the sip passwords and all of that other stuff that has been suggested all along by others.

My BB is fully loaded with all sort of software, the only thing that may be a bit unusual is this, I got my BB from e-bay it worked fine until one day we had a bit of difficulty installing something and I called Verizon, the tech insisted in exchanging it, and mailed me a new one. No sooner than I hung up I resolved the issue but since there was another on its way and with a full 1 yr warranty I exchanged it. The only thing that comes to mind is that being refurbished maybe something on this BB was different and that makes a difference. I am reaching out but trying to give you the whole picture.

Other than that I have not done anything to it sinc e the upgrade. I also was very careful in following the instructions that were posted. I made sure the new desktop manager was in place before I called Verizon to activate, then i did the handheld upgrade. Other than the excalation on the two tiers of BB support everything else went smooth, and that was simply due to the fact that the lower levels had no clue as to what was happening. Hope this helps and sorry for the long oration.

Running OS 6.0.0.524