View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
brownkc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT
Default Re: Now that SJ is no longer with us....Flash?

The past style of Flash won't be supported on Apple products and I'm guessing most mobile platforms will drop any support they have. Several months ago I saw an interesting posting that seemed to sum up the problems with Flash. The basics were that it is power hungry, one of the leading sources of viruses/infections on computers and not optimized for a touch interface (requires the precision of a mouse).

I believe Adobe is trying to reduce the power and virus issue by releasing a new developer package this last month that will have the application run on the websites server instead of the mobile device. Essentially, the device will just play back the content thus requiring less processor overhead and reducing the power requirement. I would also think this reduces the chance of a virus/infection.

Whether a flash application is optimized for a touch interface, is up to the developer. The argument for flash is that so many sites have it. But many of those sites are not using an interface optimized for touch. So, even if you could run the flash program, you're like a bull in a china shop trying to interact with the interface.

Last edited by brownkc; 10-21-2011 at 10:49 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote