View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #44
AlanChase

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010
a warning about this. AFAIK, the Redirector does NOT work with Lotus Notes. I've tried to install it, no go. However, there is a "replacement" for the Redirector available (see #3 below)

There are alternatives if you are a Notes user:

1. You can try creating an Agent or Rule to forward your Notes e-mail. With Version 5 this doesn't seem to work so well as the form in which Notes forwards the e-mails is really not suited to replying (at least in my case it wasn't); with Notes 6 I can't seem to get the forwarding to work. But if you CAN do this it results in essentially true push e-mail (your PC has to be on all the time, of course);

2. If your organization uses iNotes then BWC can pull your messages from the web and you don't need to run a computer 24/7. This is how I do it and while it's not true push it functions well enough. You get this option by setting up your e-mail from the BWC;

3. If you set up your e-mail from the BWC and choose the option OTHER than iNotes then BWC will download a small app to a PC you keep on 24/7 which will act as a redirector, essentially. If you need true PUSH but can't get Notes forwarding to work this is the best option.

Hope the above helps a bit.

=NLK=

After much searching of the forum I've stumbled upon this post which I think finally points me in the direction I'm trying to go - here's my situation - and my questions...

I use Lotus Notes at work for email and would like to be able to access it via a Blackberry. I do not have access to BES nor to iNotes. If I read item number three from the above quoted post correctly, if I leave my work PC logged on with access to an Internet connection, the Mail Connector program can be installed on my PC and will pick up all my new Lotus Notes email and then forward it to my Blackberry.

My questions are...
1. Is my premise on how this will work correct?
2. If so, before I go out and actually purchase a Blackberry, is it possible to obtain somewhere the Mail Connector program and see if it works properly on my current PC configuration?
3. I would be getting the Blackberry from T-Mobile - I presume all of the above would work with their Blackberry Internet Service (formerly called BWC)?
4. My Internet access at work is via a proxy server - is that supported by the Mail Connector program?

Thanks very much in advance...