View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #51
Aceflex

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default 3g Tethering

Hello Everyone! I think this is my very first post. Been reading these forums for quite some time and now that I am tester for my company I have a few questions/concerns about the new Blackberry Bold.

The main reason my company is excited about the Bold is for the 3G tethering capabilities. We issue a lot of wireless AIRcards and we are looking to eradicate those and have the BOLD do it all!

So on with the question/concern/finding:

Yesterday I worked from my apartment where I get full 3G connection all the time, I have never seen EDGE(AT&T) with the new bold. So I figured my apartment would be a great test bed for 3G tether testing.

So I get the AT&T communication manager downloaded and installed and I get the bold connected to my computer and everything is working great I get on the internet and navigate at DSL speeds, unfortunately I didn't get a speedtest.com report. So about 30 minutes to an hour later I notice the navigating is getting really slow, almost like I am on dialup. I look over at the screen of my Bold and I notice it has EDGE!! I have never seen the BOLD with a connection of EDGE in my apartment!

Because I am geek and now spoiled with huge pipes of internet, I can't even fathom working on dialup speeds. So, I break the connection between my laptop and the BOLD and I take the battery out of the BOLD and put it back in to restart the phone. It comes back up 3G again!
I re-tether and the same situation happens again, about 30-60 minutes I get EDGE again. So this time I try to wait it out and see if 3G will ever come back while it is connected. I determined after an hour of working on a EDGE connection that 3G isn’t coming back. So I restart the BB again and 3G comes back and stays strong the rest of the day.
Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know of something I can try? If this is how it is across the board I will not be recommending our company invests in the BOLD, there will be no cost justification.

Oh to answer a question from before, if you have a 3G signal you can tether and make calls at the same time. Also the BOLD if connected via USB will continue charging while tethering.
Offline   Reply With Quote