View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #49
nyte3k
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile

I am stuck on which device I will get next, but since i'm developing software on the blackberry and iphone, I'll probably have both. I've played with the current iPhone and it is indeed a sleek device.

I believe both devices will do very well, with the iPhone doing better. Blackberry will probably continue to dominate the corporate market, but there are more consumers than corporate types, so pure numbers lean towards iPhone. Also you potentially have more users who are ready to upgrade their iPods, and what's a better device to upgrade to than an iPod + phone (iphone).

I also love the blackberry, and probably prefer it over the iPhone(keyboard vs touch), but people love aesthetics and "cool", and the iPhone (and Apple in general for that matter) has the ultimate formula for that right now.

Blackberry is a strong name that everyone recognizes, but even with the Thunder that appears to be aiming at the iPhone, the current hype of Apple and the super-strong brand of the iPod, and the soon to come third party apps built on the iPhone SDK is going to be hard to shake off.

Unlike the portable music device market, i feel the phone market is dynamic enough to have many market leaders.

As for the SE device, this is the first time i've heard of it(as well as others on this board) so it's obviously underhyped. The price won't help it, and even if it was cheap, i don't think it or many other smartphones could build the strong brands that RIM has built with the blackberry, and apple is doing with the iPhone.
Offline   Reply With Quote