Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
gdelcaz

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: MOVISTAR-SPAIN
Default Wifi Internationa Limitations Bold

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everybody,

First of all thanks to all of you for being so generous and sharing all your knowledge. I apologize if I double-post but I havenīt found the same problem anywhere and I positively know I'm not the only one.

I have bold BIs, not BES, subscriber, data plan.
International support is off.
WIFI works perfectly everywhere, home, starbucks, etc.

I happened to go to South Korea for two months. The carrier asks me 150$ for international support.

Bold has WIFI so I think i will be able to have WIFI coverage and use services as they are everywhere there.

I arrive to Korea. Everywhere there is WIFI. I switch off data plan and network and turn on WIFI. The bold connects but.... it works nowhere. Error permanently and it says I need dataplan. It detects wireless LAN and gets connected but no service works, mail or internet or preload applications.

I ask a coworker from HK. similar device. Similar problem. he opts for using international Blackberry BIS international.

My questions are:

1. is it possible that there is a specific gateway that only allows WIFI in some continent like, in my case, Europe, or inside a country, Spain?

2. is it possible to change those gateways and make WIFI available everywhere in the world?

3. how do I do that?

I am really disappointed that RIM allows carriers to have so much power over consumers. I decided to take RIM for its specific characteristics and WIFI was one so that I was not so dependent on the carrier in the way iPhone works.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance and sorry for taking your time

Gerardo
Offline   Reply With Quote