10 MB usage - $24.99/month w/ voice account
san francisco market number, address listed in the detroit market

What I am trying to get:
Unlimited MB via Tethering
10 MB Blackberry

What I got:
Unlimited MB via Tethering
Unlimited MB Blackberry

So I tried to call Verizon through their data support. Those guys gave me the standard run around about the blackberry service not available for the personal accounts.

I came to the conclusion that it might be easier for me to go through customer service (*611, option 0, option 0). I spoke with them about broadband for my blackberry. took them a few tries to understand what I am saying but they finally figured it out. I think they figured i had the 7130e but the store didn't active the plan correctly. They went ahead and just added the $15 tethering plan via EVDO. I updated my software and did all that, and ended up with Data Connection Refused. Called them again, and they told me that I wasn't on the EVDO version of the blackberry plan, updated my plan accordingly. Updated PRL using *228 / *22899, rebooted, and voila - 1XEV.

I was still worried that they were going to bill me a crap load for tethering and spoke to somebody that knew the billing and data calculations, and updated my bb plan to the value bundles with voice and unlimited bb data with the $15/month tethering charge. Again, this was through the *611, not the toll free number. All of the CSR I dealt with were the regular ones, no need to go higher.

Just to let you know how it works with voice and data. Voice calls come through while on the tether, even in middle of data transfer. You can make outgoing cals while on the tether, but the data connection drops until you hang up the call. You will also send and receive text messages. Data rates on this are quick. In San Fran downtown, I was downloading via SFTP from my server at 110 KB/s (not Kb/s - the stats told me in VZAccess 1.25 Mb/s). You will not receive emails on the blackberry until the data session is over. Websites on the blackberry do download faster than before (www.google.com).

One thing that the CSR told me which was interesting was that there is a new place for $60/month plan for unlimited calling within a EVDO area to other numbers within the EVDO area. All other numbers and roaming outside the broadband area would cost $.25/min charge for voice calls. This really didn't make sense to me and kept on asking him all sorts of questions and I still wasn't sure as to how it works. If somebody has more information regarding this plan, please let me know how it works.

Marky: Your directions are great. I would change them for personal accounts so that they call *611 instead of the technical support number.