View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
Berrymedic20
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Any plans to renovate BIS and restore IMAP?

Please Login to Remove!

Despite having been a blackberry (Verizon 8330 curve) user for only 2 days, I'm proud of the amount of research I've done on their e-mail system. I'm also extremely disappointed in the whole BIS thing. While I appreciate the long list of benefits of the Curve over my Treo, one thing I definitely did NOT expect is that e-mail would be LESS efficient than on my Treo... It is a BLAcKBERRY after all!

That's because my Treo used Chattermail, which took advantage of IMAP IDLE technology. Which has been around for years. And works - perfectly. I almost never had a problem with that feature... Everything I did on the treo was mimicked beautifully on the web server. (Note, I have NO plans to switch back to Treo!!!).

So back to the question at hand... Blackberry's BIS system appears pretty basic. Are they at all rumored to restructure this? Would they add full support for IMAP? In all my searchings, people invariably get a horrible and unpredictable delay in email transmission with the IMAP configuration BIS uses now (polling every 15 minutes or whatever). That's NOT push email!

For the record, I'm sticking with the POP system at the moment. At least my emails are getting pushed and I can delete them from the server. Then, at the end of the day, I can sit down and mark all my messages "Read" on gmail's site. But I'd really like to hear that Blackberry is working on a solution to this!

Oh, and even an application that allowed IMAP IDLE integration would be sufficient, I think!
Offline   Reply With Quote