View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #14
easy-v
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrendog
I am another frustrated Blackberry newbie. We do not have a BES or an Exchange server. Am I SOL as far as getting email forwarded? We cannot use the standard blackberry sync method because our email server does not allow access from outside domains. I am just trying to get ANY way to get email to my handheld.

So does the Desktop Rediector require an exchange server? I have tried using it but I keep getting errors and the program quits on me.

Are there any other ways I can get email on this thing?
If you do not have BES or Exchange, you need to run the Desktop redirector or use the Blackberry Web Client.

The Desktop Redirector is a program that runs on your pc, and when an email arrives in your email client program (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc), it passes it to the Desktop redirector, which then sends it on to your Blackberry. The major downside to this, is that you need to have your PC on and you need to be logged into it in order for your BB to work.

The Blackberry Web Client (BWC or Blackberry Internet Service -BIS) is simply a web site that you go to and register an email address to, and the email then gets forwarded to your BB. See http://blackberry.net/support/client/index.shtml Disadvantages to this is that you are limited to a 10MB mailbox.