View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #26
leKing

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: WIND
Default Re: EUREKA! I think I know how to save RIM!!

Sorry I didn't respond right away. I was initially a bit put off by the criticism and felt embarrased to even respond. Regardless, I sense that there may be someone here willing to give me an honest opinion about my idea. I know posts here are generally short so I apologize for my long-windedness.

So, here it is:

As a parent of a 5 and 8 y/o I wonder if mobile phone technology would offer products specifically designed for families. Since RIM is known for their secure network, couldn't there "research in motion" element come up with a type of phone or phone network package designed for parents wanting to keep their kids safe? There is a company in Canada that offers a push button phone that works like a walkie-talkie. But couldn't RIM develop an even more secure system where a young child would carry a handset that basically is a GPS-type system where the parent can know at any given time where the child is? The device could have child friendly controls that allow for a call to a parent/guardian or 911 (and a gaming/ipod type feature which can be disabled if a parent needs to discipline - lol). This device would also be relatively inexpensive and known to be rendered useless if in the hands of a bully or any person other than the child . . .?

Second part of this idea is in relation to the controversy around RIM compromising security under pressure from the Indian government. Since RIM is the leader in secure networks, why couldn't they become political (admit the Indian situation was a "learning experience") and develop a marketing strategy around being (one of) the first mobile phone companies to promote democracy in the world by joining forces with other "engaged multinational corporations" and various other international organizations (ex. Human Right's Watch, UNESCO, etc). RIM could develop a policy whereby they consult a special board to determine what groups/countries they should co-operate with to ensure a strong distribution of mobile handsets and secure networks (ex. in countries where democratic uprisings occur such as Libya or Egypt.)

Essentially with my 2 suggestions (1."family safety oriented device/network"; 2. political mission), I am suggesting that rather than (or in addition to) just getting bought out by Google or Microsoft, RIM could "re-brand" their name as a leader in "Ethical mobile comunications". I thought of E-phone but apparently that's already been used elsewhere . . .

Perhaps I am just a "dreamer" as opposed to a "visionary". But being a Canadian, I do wish this Canadian company could survive so that's why I even bothered posting this in the first place. Thanks for reading my long post.
Offline   Reply With Quote