View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #39
tateu
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
I think I understand what you're saying, which is that the 2G/3G switching is not inherent in the phone
I believe that it is built into the phone/OS. It's just that when the OS sees a VendorID for AT&T, it disables that option.

Quote:
you can only get to it if you have the Engineering Screen Code, which is in the BB VSM, and which has a VID of 1, but with a VID of 102 it would still work if you started with the engineering VSM.
Access to the engineering screens is not based on the VID. There is a separate code in the VSM that needs to be loaded to access them. Just like there is code in the VSM to load a png splash screen. If you really wanted to, you could create a custom splash screen that shows up when you boot your phone.

Quote:
I thought I was doing pretty well knowing how to hex edit the single byte in VSM with a VID of 1 and change it to make it a VID of 102. Guess you can't trick a BB that easily.
That is exactly what I am saying. I haven't actually tested it but I believe you should be able to use the RIM VSM, change it's VID to 102, and get hotspots and the engineering screens. Oh, except that the RIM VSM doesn't have the APN info like the AT&T VSM does, so after loading a RIM VSM and the OS you have to go into Options -> Advanced Options -> TCP/IP and manually enter the AT&T APN info. Or...you could manually create a custom VSM with the RIM engineering code, AT&T VID, AT&T APN info and splash screens, etc.

Last edited by tateu; 03-17-2009 at 06:55 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote