View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
astromusic

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs down Nav4All first impressions

Please Login to Remove!

A bit about me first: I have been using an AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTn) device for a while now, with iNav iGuidance software. While I had some minor complaints about that system, I have been rather "spoiled" by having a full map-based guidance system with instant recalculations, and beautiful 3D graphic rendering of upcoming turns etc. I have switched to a Blackberry Curve 8310 (new job, new device), and hence needed to find a new GPS software. I am rather disappointed that there appears to be no comparable software to iGuidance on this platform, by which I mean a system where you have all the maps on the storage card, without the need to keep downloading from the internet all the time.

OK, now for the actual software review:

Installation
-------------
Over the air installation was a breeze. No problems encountered in loading the software or voice files.

Operation
-------------
Seems fairly intuitive once you get the hang of it (every piece of software has a "break in" period after which you know how to operate it). It connected to my built-in GPS no problem and was able to find addresses.

Navigation Performance
--------------
My first major disappointment was that the user interface for navigation is "Arrows Only". This is perhaps to minimize the internet downloads required, but it is a big disappointment after the iGuidance experience.

The second major disappoinment was that it kept wanting me to get off the freeway (every one of them) on route from home to work. I checked to make sure that the "avoid freeways" option was not checked. At every exit, it would ask me to take the exit, even though the freeway was the most direct route. Once I took the correct exit (the one closest to work), it proceeded to guide me properly to the building. I have NO idea why it was doing this! But, as it stands, this pretty much makes is 100% useless.

Glitches
-----------
The voice prompt kept fading in and out for some reason, but it was not too bad. In any case, all the voice was telling me to do is to get off the freeway, which I did not want to do anyway

Conclusion
-------------
Well, it is free. And, unless there is some setting that makes it more useful (I am going to play around with the settings some more, and report back, if I find a satisfactory one), it is not recommended.
Offline   Reply With Quote