Old 02-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #32
broch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuck View Post
I carry my Curve in my backpack, check it frequently throughout the day for email on my Exchange server. I have all my phone calls forwarded from it to my iPhone. I _sometimes_ use the Curve (actually an 8320 from Tmo with H@H service) for VOIP calls via UMA, and then mostly when travelling internationally. But that's only when the dang thing works for me. It's pretty much a data-only device for me now.

The iPhone gets used non-stop for voice and data, primarily email for all my non-work accounts and to do stock trades and such via my website stock portal. That's something I could never do with my Curve's browser...just was too slow and/or didn't work half the time. I'm actually a bit surprised at how MUCH web browser activity I do on the iPhone. Since it's the first full-featured browser I've used on a phone, I don't find myself booting my laptop to do simple things like book orbitz flights or other "full" website activities. I've even started using it to make forum posts and find myself much more active on my accounts now as a result of same.

Then there's video. I was pretty proficient at converting vid clips to my Curve. It's very doable, has a nice screen, etc. But with the iPhone, I find myself ripping entire DVD's to the thing now, or doing a lot more with episodic TV shows I synch up via iTunes. I download the shows I wanna see from my DVR, convert to MP4 and take them with me. Since I travel so much, I've actually started to keep up with shows like Weeds, Sarah Conner Chronicles, etc. now...where in the past, I wouldn't. Again...convergence. One device and I can do it all. And podcasts round out my custom "ear news" each day now.

I'm getting 5-6 hours of full-screen use of my iPhone per day. Although my Curve definitely has a better battery scheme, it hardly got used as much as I just used it for email and phone calls....nothing else really was as enjoyable to "burn the battery" for on that device. I synch up to iTunes enough that I get to top off the charge pretty frequently, and my car already had an iPod adapter built-in that works fine for my iPhone...charges and connects to stereo...I don't suffer the interference problems I've heard from others. Hey, if the iPhone battery is going dead on me...that means I'm USING it to the fullest, so I don't worry so much about that. In normal phone/wifi use only, I can easily go a full day between charges..could go 1.5 to almost 2 full days on the Curve in a pinch. But again...didn't use it as much as I am the iPhone either.

I scaled down my minutes on Tmo on the Curve to bare minimum, kept the data plan intact. Company pays for that anyways. I have the $99 plan on AT&T for the iPhone, and company pays for the voice portion of that. So basically...I'm only paying for a data plan for my iPhone right now.
sorry but this only confirms suspicions:
buying stuff over unsecured networks (iPhone has only wep support = no security at all
while Curve supports WPA2

It takes ~2-3 mins to break WEP.
This is serious limitation for anyone using "full featured browser" (Safari) on the phone.
This only feature (WPA2) also makes Curve way above iPhone browser reach.

This is more or less like OS X being most secure OS in the world (which was proven incorrect many times, and latest OS X release made in only laughable).

Quote:
Apple's Genius Bar is the BEST customer service I've had from any consumer electronics maker in my frickin' life.
nahh, I don't need an appointment: got to the Verizon shop and fixed my problems instantly.
I do remember though all sorts of problems with different Apple products though and getting appointments was not really helpful.

No, Apple's service is average. In some places better and in other worse.

I think that you can justify anything you want including wep for any financial transactions, iTunes limitation and so on.

Last edited by broch; 02-02-2008 at 09:21 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote