Old 06-11-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: T o' Bitters
Carrier: VZW
Exclamation 4.2 bug?

Please Login to Remove!

Looks like there is a bug in 4.2 software related to profile exceptions for PIN message alerts. I've confirmed this on my 8700c using the 4.2 Chinese release and on my 8300 with platform 2.4.0.39, app 4.2.2.89(186). Both on at&t BIS.
This was not a problem on the 8700c using platform 2.0.0.152, app 4.1.0.377, which was the latest Cingular release. I've also searched this venue and the Rim KB for reports...nothing found.
So here's the scenario...(you may need access to a second BB to send PIN message):
In profiles, create an exception for an individual. Then create a profile to be used by the previously created exception. Assign alert tones that differ from your normal profile. Then test mail, phone, SMS, PIN etc...all use the correct alert in 4.1, BUT in 4.2 you never receive a PIN alert. There is a workaround..."make pin messages level 1" in email options. Not the ideal workaround because it sets those messages to red or bold red in the inbox. I'm guessing Rim forgot to classify PIN into one of the alert choices.
My work group uses PIN often because of speed and to avoid touching email servers for a variety of reasons. We also use profile exceptions to avoid being disruptive in meetings, but still get notified of important messages.

Would like to hear of any other work around or experiences with what seems to be a bug in 4.2.