View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #49
psyct1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask
Carrier: AT&T

i recently returned from iraq, the entire time i was there i couldn't wait to get back and get my hands on the Bold... not even 24 hours after my unit returned home, i was at the at&t store getting the Bold... the screen resolution is better than most TV's out right now IMO...

about two weeks later a good friend of mine i was stationed in japan with came out to visit with his wife, both had iPhone 3G's... after playing around with his (he had it jailbroken) i was really impressed... i really didn't want to give up on the hardware keyboard but, after messing around with his i got used to it quickly. the software is extremely intelligent as far as auto correcting goes (unfortunately i haven't figured out a way to change any of the autocorrect options like you can on the blackberry).

internet on the 3G is MUCH better than any blackberry (as has been mentioned here).

well, about 28 days after using the Bold, i bite the bullet and traded it in for the iPhone 3G myself. i immediately had it jailbroken and THAT is when everything was "opened up" on the iPhone. SOOOOOO many more options on a jailbroken iPhone including but not limited to; THEMES, the ability to show a background, being able to change the ringtones for MMS/SMS, more options to control the phone itself, a one stop place to turn off wifi/bluetooth/ssh/location(gps)/wireless sig (airplane mode) just with the swipe across the top of the screen. many of these things listed above are reasons many didn't want to switch from bb to iPhone.

a week and a half after i traded the Bold in for the iPhone they announced the 3Gs, which included a 50% price drop in the phone i had which was now a week old. at&t gave me the option to either pre-order the 3Gs or get a $150 rebate for the price difference, i opted to preorder considering it wasn't a penny more for the 32gig 3Gs...

now, i wasn't sure how much i'd use the compass on its own BUT... when you are in the maps application, you can use it to actually rotate the map for where you are looking, which i thought was amazing... especially since there isn't a true GPS navigation app out yet for the iPhone (i believe TomTom is working on one now though) using maps for directions is much better with that feature!!!

all in all, i am extremely happy with my decision to switch. i DEFINITELY miss the email PUSH through bb but, i found a work-around for that problem on the iPhone.

as has been mentioned many times, its all in what you'll use the phone more for... business owners should stick with BB, if you want more "play" out of your device, go iPhone!!