View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: AT&T 4G Trouble in Los Angeles

Well after 6 Network tickets, when they finally decided to run extensive diagnostic tests, they do see the problem – it is not device specific and it is usage related (which I already know.) They can’t give me any timeframe when there will be a fix. They are not building anything new in this area they are only going to build up what is already in place to handle the overcrowding. They told me that means the fix will be faster as building up what already exists is quicker and less expensive than establishing a new tower. But again, there is no timeframe. The problem is these H+ capable devices will NOT roll back when there is an H+ signal present, even if it can’t connect to it successfully. The device just keeps trying… it will only roll 3G if there is no H+ signal present. The only way to have a successful data connection when the overcrowding is present (which is basically Monday through Friday between 9 to 5) is to turn the BB to EDGE.

He told me this will also be true of a 4G LTE device – if the signal is present, it won’t roll back to 3G even if it can’t connect to the 4G LTE signal. So I am not looking at overcoming this problem with a true 4G LTE device. I told him Blackberry is coming with 4G LTE and more importantly I believe Apple will show as well… about the time you have people running EDGE on a 4G LTE iPhone – well, I imagine we would all hear the screaming outrage. Because if people can’t successfully run 4G LTE they are going to want 3G not EDGE – and that will not be possible in areas with overcrowding that offer 4G LTE or H+.
Offline   Reply With Quote