Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Improving the initial UMA connection

Please Login to Remove!

All, I found a couple settings which seemed to allow UMA to connect up a little faster:

- Assigned a static IP address (do this after you set up the Wifi connection for regular DHCP, then go in to options and disable DHCP, and you can set up a static IP).

- Forwarded ports 500 and 4500 to the static IP address (if you for some reason you need to stay dynamic, I would imagine you could set up port triggering here...)

Some people may have mentioned this already, but I found these helpful in allowing UMA to flow a little more smoothly in terms of the initial connection. Will a dynamic IP address I noticed in the Wifi diagnostics that the initial UMA connection would fail with "ISP error" or similar, and then eventually connect up successfully. When I did the above, it connected right away without any issues.

Oh, and just in terms of general performance I have found UMA pretty good. It does seem to have issues when both parties try to talk at once; almost like it has problems with full-duplex operation. Possibly a bandwidth issue of the phone itself; I can't imagine I don't have enough bandwidth, I am on a 12Mb down, 2Mb up connection.
Offline   Reply With Quote