View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 04:29 AM   #71
justpassntime

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Well, if the ball has no "click" when pressing down on it then the actual contact on the circuit board has lost it's "snap." You have a defective device.
Here is my fix for putting the snap back in the click. I wouldn't do this on a phone under warranty.

On my phone (8100) the trackball worked perfectly, the problem was the contact underneath the trackball on the main board (see picture step 8 above). Part of the copper colored tape had peeled away from the switch and let dirt and lint in not allowing the trackball to do its job.

I figured it doesn't work now so I couldn't make it worse. Take the battery out or you wont be able to see what you are doing with the LED blasting holes in your eyeballs. I took forceps and peeled it the rest of the way off. What I ended up with was a small square piece of tape with a smaller round slightly dish shaped piece of metal.

I cleaned the switch contact point on the main board. I then peeled the tape from the small round metal disk. I took some electrical tape (hoping to find something better later) and cut it into a small square. Placed the small metal disk on the tape and trimmed it a little more so it wouldn't cover the LEDs. Then I positioned it over the switch, pressed it down (you could use a pencil eraser) to the switch base. Put the battery and trackball back in.

Guess what happened then. No....it worked just like new.

Even if it came loose the magnets would catch it and keep it from falling out. I am hoping to find some other kind of tape that is thinner but will stay put for the long haul. If you have an idea for something better please post it.

Last edited by justpassntime; 05-09-2009 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Offline   Reply With Quote