View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #35
kenv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Does anyone know about and/or have experience with replacing /only/ a VSM file once the BB has been successfully rebranded? I can't find anything about this with Google searches.

Let me try to describe the situation clearly:

I have already successfully debranded my BB through the MML process, and it now has the engineering vendor ID of 1. Everything works as advertised, including the BB engineering screen, 2G/3G switching, and the voice codec choice. I got lucky and did not brick the BB. But, of course, the free access to AT&T Wi-Fi is gone, also as advertised. AT&T does not see the debranded AT&T phone as an AT&T phone any longer, naturally.

Let's suppose that you had a VSM file that was almost identical to the VSM that is now installed on the unbranded phone, with the /only/ difference being that the new VSM had a vendor ID for AT&T (ID 102) instead of for BB engineering (ID 1). A one byte difference in the VSM for the vendor ID--that's it--the rest of the file being absolutely identical to the BB engineering VSM in every way.

Two questions:

1. Would installing that new VSM alone make the phone look to AT&T like an AT&T Vendor ID 102 phone, and therefore makeit be able to use the AT&T Wi-Fi, assuming, of course, an AT&T SIM and a valid subscription?

2. To reinstall just the new VSM, do you have to go through the entire debranding process again and then reinstall the latest OS? Or can you simply reinstall or change a VSM, using the hidden screen in the MML, without rebranding and needing to reinstall the OS, that is, skipping the initial process of clearing the BB with the MML and also the reloading of the OS later on?

I realize my question is somewhat repetitive the way I have put it, but that is because I wanted to make what I was asking crystal clear.

Thanks.
Offline   Reply With Quote