Old 12-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #79
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Well on that news, I think Apple will lose any claim. Courts give great weight to registered trademarks because there is a significant process one has to go through to get a trademark.

Also, not sure on this, but has the iPod been around for six years? If not, seems an "i" something or other was not even an issue at the time.
Well, the iPod isn't that old, but the iMac probably is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
I think Apple is not going to be able to name their phone the "iphone." Besides, I think calling it what it is and where it comes from is better: "Apple Phone" says it all.
Per the link GMK posted, sounds like they intend to *try* to call it the iPhone though. They're making an end run and filing a trademark application somewhere in the "far east" rather than addressing the Linksys situation in the U.S., sounds like. Should be interesting.

EDIT: From that article GMK posted:

Quote:
Monday, October 16, 2006

Apple Computer has filed for a trademark on the term iPhone, suggesting the company plans to use the moniker, recently popularized amongst the analyst and blogging communities, as the official name for its highly-anticipated iPod cell phone.

The filing, made last month with a Far Eastern trademark office...

According to the filing, which remains under examination, Apple originally sought the iPhone trademark back in March, when it filed a similar request with a trademark office in a nation off the coast of South America.
At first glance, all looks pretty sneaky and underhanded to me - sure makes me think they already knew about the existing Linksys trademark in the U.S.

Last edited by DallasFlier; 12-19-2006 at 04:28 PM..