Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC22 View Post
I found some useful info about sync with Mac, and apparently there are some third party apps that are better than the RIM software.

I guess my questions should have been more clear.

I'm really just looking for some advice from someone who has used both devices. Email/Messaging is very important, customization is also important. I like alot of what I've read about some BB features that the iPhone doesn't have, but I'm just looking for a comparison.

Thanks
The easiest way to compare the difference between the iPhone and BlackBerry can be summed up as follows:

First, take the strengths of each:

EMail: iPhone - Good, visual, uses intervals to check for email
Email: BlackBerry - BIS accounts are good, uses intervals to check mail
Email: BlackBerry - BES Exchange mail is instant, and excellent!

Web: iPhone, excellent web interface. Almost as good as a standard PC or Mac.
Web: BlackBerry - Good as far as standard mobile devices get. Not on the same level as the iPhone. The iPhone's web experience is a full generation ahead.

Calendar, Notes, Addresses

iPhone must sync for these.
BlackBerry with BES / Exchange sync instantly for these. If you so much as add an address in the Exchange Outlook client, in seconds it just appears in the BlackBerry without you doing anything. It's automatic and over the air.

The Phone Application:

iPhone has a handy favorites section, a better dial pad, and a great visual system to help you manage the call in progress. Visual Voice Mail is outstanding.

BlackBerry has the advantage of being well integrated. Just start to type the name of the person you wish to call, and BB finds names in the address book that match what you have typed thus far, and offers suggestions. It's quick, easy, and effortless. No need for favorites. However, you do need to use menus to manage the call, and in that sense, it feels clunky compared to the iPhone's interface. But then, how often do you conference a call on your cell phone? If never, don't worry about this. If often, the iPhone is easier to work with.

3rd party software

Here is where the BlackBerry shines big time. Check out RexWireless for the best ToDo application ever written. Only available on the BlackBerry, and in my humble opinion one of the reasons the BlackBerry should be considered above all. If you are juggling client requests there is no better software to help you than ToDoMatrix, period, end of story, bar none.

BUt if you can by with the iPhone's calendar and Apple's iCal, then perhaps this matters less. I myself am a customer of RexWireless and I now use the iCal and iPhone, and though not in the same class by any stretch of the imagination, I find I am okay with it. But I do miss my ToDoMatrix. It is clearly the better application.

On the iPhone side, there are some nice built in applications. The Stock Quote application is great, and BlackBerry has no such built in app. There are 3rd party apps however. The weather app on the iPhone is also visually outstanding.

SMS is threaded on the iPhone. Not on the BlackBerry. But SMS is an extra cost. On the BlackBerry, you can add a 3rd party IM client, such as JiveTalk and that can connect to all your IM friends. There are web versions of this software for the iPhone, but the BlackBerry is easily the winner here. JiveTalk is the better way to go.

The iPhone of course has built in iPod functionality. If that is important to you, and it is to some, then there is no better way to enjoy your media. Managing media via iTunes is stupid-easy. And the larger screen make watching video acceptable. The built in chapter functions are incredible. It's as close to functionality equivalent of watching a DVD on a set top box that you can get. You can chapter skip for example in a downloaded movie. Incredible.

If it's media related, the iPhone really shows it's well thought out intentions to be a great media device.

So I hope you can see from this that for business, email, sync, contact management, etc; that the BlackBerry really excels.

For lighter email, great web, and outstanding media, the iPhone really shines. So it really depends on where you sit in those areas.

Best,

Alex
Offline   Reply With Quote